Thread: The Whirlwind Islands

Default The Whirlwind Islands

Hello guild, this is my last project, two tropical islands with a huge vortex between them, i used photoshop wilbur and illustrator for this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whirlwind_Islands.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	873.4 KB 
ID:	64682
    If you thinks some elements could be improved i'm opened to advices and critics, feel free to rep if you like it

Nice! Gorgeous colours, stunning detail, just lovely.

Two things pop to mind that might improve it a little: it feels a bit cramped in the frame; if you gave it a bit more water around the whole thing it'd feel a bit more harmonious. And I reckon the town labels would be a bit easier to read if they weren't over the top of the buildings, so there'd be a bit more contrast between the yellow typography and either a green or blue background.

Hi. Funny how the map resembles the remains of an old volcano, a little bit like Santorini in shape. Yet the elevation pattern is confusing/deceiving. It seems like it has a central ridge, quite tall, but a volcano would have a slight different shape. Still, that's a detail you may not worry about and that's fine.

But I think you should cram the houses more into the coast. Or organize them according to the valleys and streams you show. As it is, they seem to be floating over the topography.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate! That was not on purpose but that's true the map kinda look like Santorini, maybe i should have tried to give a volcano feeling to the relief. For the houses you're right Pixie, i was lazy at that point and didn't take the time to add effect/paint the floor under houses for a better integration in topography, that was why i put the city labels over buildings, in a pitiful atempt to hide that default. Maybe that with a map at that scale i shouldn't have tried to represent city buildings and just used pictograms.