Thread: My first big project - DnD World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Guild Supporter Chip's Avatar

Wip My first big project - DnD World

Hi, here is my first big WIP post. My friend and I are working on building a unique Steam Punk style DnD world for our friends, and so I'm designing the high resolution photoshop version, and then he and I are painting the map onto a canvas as well. I'll post about both as maybe you guys would like to see it.

Here is the basic gist of the map, as well as a silhouette version I created:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThePlan.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	64730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapOutline1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	64731

Here is an update: I took the land shape, with some modifications, from the sillouette map and added it to my parchment map. I did a lot of stuff, but basically I added water color and texture, and outlined the land, and added a small color gradient over the land. I then added a texture over the border to make it less blunt. Next I want to tweak the colors and add mountains which go down the middle half of the continent.

Name:	ParchmentMap.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	64745

Here is where I'm finishing for the day: Washed out a lot of the colors, I thought it was a bit obnoxiously bright. Added lines around the coast as well. Next step is still the interior of the land. Mountains, forests, cities, camps...

Name:	ParchmentMap2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1,004.3 KB 
ID:	64746

Wonderful start. I like the land mass and the borders, but the water texture and darkness are both a bit over much to my eye.

Quick Update: I've been adjusting a lot of things here and there and adding overlays, and I think I've found a style I want to pursue. It's like a grungy steampunk style which is what the world is based on anyway. Take a look and tell me what you think! Also, I'd love some input onto what kinds of mountains would work with this map. I'm having trouble finding the correct style. I'm thinking just having soft hills that chain along the middle instead of drawing tall, jagged peaks. Also I added a title to the area, C'Nidaria (Nid-Arya). Its named after the phylum that jellyfish and corals are in. Ties back to my campaign a bit.

Name:	ParchmentMap3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	64812
    (don't view it too zoomed in, the textures get grainy)

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

Ooooo I like the colors! It instantly caught my eye. The outlines are a little thick for my taste but that's just personal preference. This looks leaps and bounds better then your last update!

I really like the last update; it adds a lot of character to the map. However, the second compass rose seems a bit unnecessary, and I have to agree with Jugabyte on the thick outlines. As for the mountains, I feel like drawing in an upside-down 'U' around the lower (mostly) inland body of water of hard mountains would come across well.

I've been out of town and working for the past couple months but now I'm back at school so I'll be able to finish up this project! More to come soon