Thread: Kadurugalawatta, Coral reef and tropical ruins

Default Kadurugalawatta, Coral reef and tropical ruins

Hello guild, This is a map of the island of Kadurugalawatta. It is inhabited by a few peacefull tribes of fishers who build their villages along the beaches. The coral reef inside the island provides them foods and piece of corals to craft their jewelry. It is said that the island once hosted a mysterious and disapeared civilisation, The almost unexplored ruins of their cities and temples can be found in the highest mountainous parts of the islands and in the inextricable jungle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kadurugalawatta.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	64762
    As usual critics are welcome if something seems wrong on the map or some rep if you find the map is good

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks good though I don't really understand why some towns labels are curved, which isn't necessary.

Thx max, for the curved labels that was to have a little difference between fishers village and abandoned towns

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hmm curving labels don't really make sense for me if this isn't necessary on the map. Color/font hierarchization would be preferrable to help seeing the different kind of towns you depicts imho.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Hmm curving labels don't really make sense for me if this isn't necessary on the map. Color/font hierarchization would be preferrable to help seeing the different kind of towns you depicts imho.
    I guess you're right, labeling is my weak point so i'll take the advice in consideration for next maps

The map is pretty cool and I love the tree. It looks like they were individually placed. I agree with Max (and yourself) that labeling is poor - you have ample sample to use larger fonts.
    And on another little topic - did you consider/try some wave effects on the coast - the water layer is pretty "meh".

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

I actually like the slightly curved labels. As you said, it is a simple way to differentiate between the smaller villages and towns and they aren't too curved, just a slight bend. I'd keep them.

Thx for the feeback guys. About adding waves effects it was a quite tricky subject. Waves are white and to have a white line all around the islands seems perturbating for the relief effect (for me low is dark and high is white). On that one i actually tried to add some waves but white was too strong and i end up soften so much the effect that it isn't visible anymore. I was quite happy with the relief of the island and didn't want to take any risk of decreasing the lisibility of the relief feeling with a white line around so i give up on the wave effects, a challenge for another map i guess