Thread: Woodturner needs help creating globe

Default Woodturner needs help creating globe

Hello all,
    As the title says I am a woodturner, not a cartographer, and I need some assistance/information. I want to make a globe out of wood using what is know as segmented turning. I use small pieces of wood cut at specific angles to create rings. These rings are then stacked and turned to create a vessel, bowl or, in this case a sphere. I would like to then use pyrography (woodburning) to show the continents of the earth. My question is: how do I make the paper gores (if that's the correct term) to tape to the globe and trace the continents to burn the outlines and details? I have been searching on the internet but can't find software to accomplish this. Is there such a thing?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    I hope I have put this in the proper forum. If not feel free to move it.
    Thank you,
    .....Gord

The short version is "yes". Try a search here at the guild for globe and gores. You should get many posts from other who have tried or who have done this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The short version is "yes". Try a search here at the guild for globe and gores. You should get many posts from other who have tried or who have done this sort of thing.
    Thank you so much for the tip re: searching for globe and gores. I think I found the answer using g.projector. Much appreciated! If I ever actually finish the project I will come back and show the result.
    .....Gord

Blog Entries

Try that g.projector first. If its no good or you get confused by it then have a look at a thread I made with some easy code to make some gores maps from a mercator style. My app is pretty basic and does not bend the individual gores just right and there is no options for overlap etc but it may get you by since your intending to burn the wood instead of pasting the paper map to it.

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37152

hi i paintet some map on wood. it depents on your woodburner an how pointy (i hope i get the point) your tool is. But my material was flat not a globe.