Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Island for a Campaing setting

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I think the forests fit really well, they might look even better if you varied the colours of the trees with some reds, oranges and yellows. I really like your compass rose too.
    Hmm thats a pretty nice idea, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentAlliath View Post
    It's quite a nice map, although I'm just wondering what the town in the south is called...
    Looks like Nebelheim to me. A little similar to Nibelheim from Final Fantasy VII.
    Just letting you know, just in case there is someone who dares to accuse you. (I'm not).
    It's a very nice map though.
    Yep it's called Nebelheim, though there is no connection to Nibelheim in any way. The map is labeld in German and Nebelheim means something like Misttown if you would try to translate it.1

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    If using GIMP or Photoshop, I would probably go with a bit of burn and dodge myself to get some slight variation on each tree. Not doing the full tree, just like a splattering of burn/dodge on each. Alternately, since you shaded the mountains from the west.....
    Hmm I tried to bring in some variations by drawing them, I agree I should shade them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    There is a small river violation in the NW. The lake there has two outlets to the ocean.

Other than that, nice map (though a little small...)

-Rob A>
    Oh... I thought this would be ok. Is it impossible for a lake to have two outgoing rivers? If yes I'll change it, sure.

About the size hmm, it's just an island but sure I dont have any experience with it. Maybe its to small.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Oh... I thought this would be ok. Is it impossible for a lake to have two outgoing rivers? If yes I'll change it, sure.
    It can happen (depends on the scale, of course), but unless there is intervention, one of the channels will win out and become the primary channel.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It's looking like a good start. I was going to suggest a tutorial/tool RobA put up about how to use a gradiated area to fill in random trees. I tried the tool out (for my own enjoyment) and found it produces nice results. But these look good as well, though in a somewhat different style than the tool I was going to suggest

Quote Originally Posted by VincentAlliath View Post
    It's quite a nice map, although I'm just wondering what the town in the south is called...
    Looks like Nebelheim to me. A little similar to Nibelheim from Final Fantasy VII.
    Just letting you know, just in case there is someone who dares to accuse you. (I'm not).
    It's a very nice map though.
    It wouldn't be so bad, I think, considering that FFVII borrowed it's location names liberally from Norse mythology (Nibelheim comes from Niflheim, Midgaar comes from Midgard, etc.). I tend to think if you're going to do fantasy, you may as well go back to the source (i.e. Mythology).

But the OP answered to this somewhat already.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Post Small Update

Ok, here is a small update, didnt have much time last week.

I added all forests, though I am not really satisfied with the result. I really did put some effort in the trees, tbh I spent most time of the map creation so far with the trees but in the end I couldnt come up with a nifty solution.

Anyways I dont wanna spend more time with them, so maybe I will find a better solution in my next map

I also added a map border and corrected the river violation.

Gonna have to add a highmoor at the NE part of the map and have to finish the labels on it. I also thought about adding town icons, but I am not sure about it. Any thoughs if town symbols would be more fitting?

Last thing to do will be adding a legend and the scale.

Thanks for all comments on my map so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nornland WiP.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	6279  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Ok, here is a small update, didnt have much time last week.

I added all forests, though I am not really satisfied with the result. I really did put some effort in the trees, tbh I spent most time of the map creation so far with the trees but in the end I couldnt come up with a nifty solution.

Anyways I dont wanna spend more time with them, so maybe I will find a better solution in my next map

I also added a map border and corrected the river violation.

Gonna have to add a highmoor at the NE part of the map and have to finish the labels on it. I also thought about adding town icons, but I am not sure about it. Any thoughs if town symbols would be more fitting?

Last thing to do will be adding a legend and the scale.

Thanks for all comments on my map so far
    You might try putting a glow around your labeling, this will make it much easier to read, especially labels that pass over other aspects of the map.

I'm a plain dot kinda guy when it comes to placing towns and cities. But I think if you wanted to place conceptual towns as symbols it would work equally well with your map.

Great job so far, keep it up

Wip Small Update

Ok, found some time to work on my campaign setting. Here is a small update

I added more labels and added a moor to the NE.

I know that the labels are kinda hard to read, but I noticed that the map is too small for all lables... I plan to finish the labeling then rescale it and redo the labels perhaps.

Anyways I did rescale the map with its labels, so it's easier to read for now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nornland WiP.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	820.6 KB 
ID:	6398  
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

black city labeling is fine now, but you river labeling is hard to read... I think because its the same color as the rivers themselves... you may want to darken the blue to something more like the edges of your ocean out there... setting a darker color to glow behind the text would also help, or a shadow set at x=0, y=0 directly behind it.

It is looking good though... Are you doing this with a mouse or do you have a tablet?

I've got a tablet Delgo, though I admit I am not the most talented artist out there

I agree I wasnt too happy with the river labels myself, I am gonna play around with it again
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12