Thread: Hachie - Home Town Project

Guild Member Facebook Connected jugabyte's Avatar

Map Hachie - Home Town Project

Well I'm done with my first attempt at city building. This is a section of my real life hometown that I'm making for my daughter. I used google map set at 200ft scale to use as a guide of where the streets and major landmarks would be located.

I used rpgmapmaker's building brushes for the city buildings, a clock hand found on google for part of the compass, and the rest was hammered out by neglecting the world for a couple weeks. I learned A LOT about using brushes through this. In fact, I hope I can remember how I did some of it, after a while you just keep messing with stuff till it works.

The purpose of this map is to document secret places my 6 year old daughter and I have found as we explore our city. Originally I wanted to do a single map for the whole city but... the city is bigger than I thought, so this is the first installment.

The original WIP thread is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/to...g-project.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jugabyte-albums-hometown+maps-picture64796-hometown-project-hachie.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	64799

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I really like this, the whole idea is just fantastic. I really like the fact that you go for walks around the city and make it a sort of story-telling game. Thank you for sharing this map of the secret world in your neighbourhood. Also... what is the Un-door? I'm so intrigued!

cheers,
    Meshon

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Good job, I like the colors

The un-door is a brick frame of a door in the middle of a building's wall. It looks like they just decided to take the door out and fill it with cement or something. We're pretty sure the building belongs to a wizard and that it's a portal. We can't go through it because as everyone knows you can only enter a Wizard's home by invitation. There is evidence of thieves around the building as we discovered bricks falling out of the wall in various places where we're pretty sure someone is trying to bust in, however the bricks disappear everytime we visit it so we think the house magically repairs itself.

What a map for a first try in city mapping! really god job with the color choice and buildings, the fields work really well too. slight critic maybe you could have increased a bit more the depht of vegetation by adding a shadow effect like you did on your building layer.

Thanks! Yeah I had a lot of trouble with the fields. I did add a 'slight' shadow effect but I think you're right, it wasn't enough. Next time!

I love this map! It reminds me of my hometown! I really love the way you did the river.

Thanks Domino! The river was the first thing I colored, and was a bit of an experiment. Next came the treeline, then roads, then buildings, then detail work. I appreciate the encouragement!

Excellent map, the colors are really good and the rest is very well done and harmonious. My only nitpick would be about the bridge's shadows (a bit too strong imho, giving the imression to be very high above the river, in contradiction with the rest).

Guild Novice

Wow! your daughter is one lucky girl! A map is not just an aesthetic representation (even though it is important), it's also about all the stories and memories that come into your mind while looking at it, that's why you can stay for hours looking at a map without getting tired. I LOVED the story of the un-door! Enjoy your wanderings you two

Cheers