Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2014 Entry: The Land of Evening's Shadow

I've never understood why people keep telling me to desaturate my maps - isn't that rather cross-purposes to the idea of putting color in the map?
    That said I tried it, and I think I can get behind it, in this case at the very least. I suppose I shall have to play around with the levels when I have more time.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChalMo June 14-6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	65027

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I really like how "wavy" the grassy areas appear to be. Cool, complex texture you have going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I really like how "wavy" the grassy areas appear to be. Cool, complex texture you have going on there.
    Thanks! I get the impression that many mapmakers mistake grasslands for being simply flat, and I wanted to do something to make the grass noticeable, without it taking too much attention from everything else. I attempted to make the grass in this map reflect the variations on size, type, and weed components by having both random and predictable variations across the open areas. I hope it came across!
    Last edited by Tomalak; 06-17-2014 at 11:58 PM.

I took a few minutes to address the 'showing through' problem the mountains were having.
    I would love to hear any more input on the terrain, as I'm about to start putting in the details.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Attachment 65029

Oops. Attachment seems invalid?

Crud. I am on my mobile, I'll fix it tomorrow

### latest wip ###

Name:	ChalMo June 14-7.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	65047

Here i've put some towns & cities on the map, and started roads.
    I'm not sure about the Icons I'm using, the locations I've selected, or what to call them - so I'm testing it out a step at a time so I can look at it after a bit.
    What do you think, is the population too dense? And I have no idea what to do for the Icons. Circles doesn't work too well, but hand-drawn isn't an option, much as I'd like it to be.

### latest wip ###

Name:	ChalMo June 14-8.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	65071

I think that the dark, solid circles run the risk of getting lost amongst the dark, solid trees--I was having a little trouble picking them out. Something felt a little strange about so many towns around the southern lake. Could it support so many? Perhaps...it just made me go, "huh..." Will there be a compelling reason why no adventuresome souls have colonized the north west lake? Monstrous infestations?

Cultural conventions, actually. I see three major cultures in the area. One subsists of fishing and light agriculture around the southern lake, and has the best masonry skill. Another does some fishing, some agriculture, and is heavy on trade, and is up and down the major river. The third is the one in that hill region which lives mostly on herding and forestry, with the best mining and metalworking in the area. The only culture near that lake doesn't have much knowledge of fishing. So that area is sort of open frontier, and (as far as the mapmaker knows) largely devoid of settlement. I might put some nomads, like steppe-people or plains indians there, but they wouldn't have the same representation on the map - especially as the map was likely made by a riverman.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast