Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June 2014 Entry: The Land of Evening's Shadow

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
    I've never understood why people keep telling me to desaturate my maps - isn't that rather cross-purposes to the idea of putting color in the map?
    No, it isn't. Colour doesn't just mean the brightest, most saturated tone, it means anything in the whole range from black to white all the way to the most vibrant blues, reds and greens. Colour, in this way, can be used to suggest things; if I wanted to make an evil-looking map with an implied cold temperature then I wouldn't use highly saturated blues for ice and snow, I would use colours bordering on grey or white to give a more accurate representation; I also wouldn't use overly saturated colours, as they have the effect of warming the image (or map). If you don't understand, look up Feng Zhu on youtube. He's got some great stuff to say about colours.
    As for the map, it's looking pretty good, and the lighting in particular is done well, though the trees are much too dark and I think that those brown hills look a bit odd. I'd say just make them green, unless you prefer them being brown; after all, it's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by NedS298 View Post
    I also wouldn't use overly saturated colours, as they have the effect of warming the image (or map).
    Ah-ha! That's why. Now that you point that out, yeah I can see that. Thank you for mentioning it.
    look up Feng Zhu on youtube. He's got some great stuff to say about colours.
    I will, thank you.
    the trees are much too dark and I think that those brown hills look a bit odd. I'd say just make them green, unless you prefer them being brown; after all, it's your choice.
    The hills are odd. I haven't been able to figure out what to do with them, though. I'll try some various greens and see what I can get. As for the trees, I want them to stand out from the other colors, and their rather dense borders do seem to darken them. I'll play with them after the hills.

Thank you for your feedback. it's always easier for me to see the next step through someone else's eyes.

I love the texturing of the grass, but the texture itself seems a bit off-scale in relation to the other textures. It almost makes me think of little plastic toy mountains in grass, especially because of the darkness of the hills and mountains in comparison with the grass.

Also, while I like the thought you've put into the settlement placement (both in volume and in depth), I do think it needs a little work. Firstly, I think that there are too many settlements, or at least too many of the same (apparent) size. You would normally have either all of the settlements use the same icon, or have one capital, one or two other major cities, and then a few other, smaller towns, with each tier using a different symbol. It may just be the way that you are testing the icons, but it looks like you just have them more or less alternating. Of the icons, I would choose the circled dot for cities and a ring for villages, and maybe a star or something else for capitals. That, or circled dot > dot > ring. I would also consider incorporating color in the icons.

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to address each of your points in turn. First, I don't intend my maps to seem photographic - some mapmakers have remarkable skill in such things, mine are largely representative. That said, I wanted my grasslands to feel like grass, not simply be monotone green empty places.

Larger settlements are less common than smaller (which is why they seem to be alternating) but most of the tiny settlements are not pictured on the map. The circles are indeed tiny villages or hamlets, and are placed where they are mostly to reinforce the settlement pattern and show that the area is not abandoned. There aren't any really heavy farming cultures in this area, so I couldn't just place farmland. The circled dots are (correct again) actual cities, as opposed to towns (black dot). There are no capitals on the map, because there are no nation-states. Only cultures and settlements. I am most certainly going to change the way I mark settlements, but I am probably going to keep to the simple black markings, because colors would quickly get lost against the background.

Thank you for your input!

I have two ideas bouncing around in my head for alternatives to black-dot settlements. Neither is in it's finished form, but here's the first idea, in which small 'house' icons appear in clumps of varying size. Two to four in a single line or clump indicate a village, multiple lines indicate a town, and tiny icons in multiple long lines show a city. I like this idea because it invokes relative size visually, but I dislike it because it misrepresents the amount of space the settlement uses.
    ### latest wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChalMo June 14-9.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	65326

Here's the other idea, in which town icons are done away with entirely and replaced with names. I like this idea because I can avoid using icons that don't have the same art style as the background map, but dislike it because icons are so heavily relied on by typical mapmakers that doing away with them may seem odd to the viewer. While they are currently not in place, further labels for mountains, rivers, etc will be place on the map later.
    Whichever type of town label I choose, specific details (font, icon, etc) are malleable, and I will select the most appropriate after I choose a style.
    ### latest wip ###

Name:	ChalMo June 14-10.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	65329

And here's a test image for the altered hills. Now, to bed - that I might see the effects in the morning with fresh eyes.
    ### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	ChalMo June 14-11.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	65330

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is a good looking map, nice work! I agree that the colours could use some more work, the bright grasslands are kind of at odds with the dark hills and forests. Of course, that just makes those places look all the more forbidding! I'm eager to see what you come up with after applying fresh eyes!

cheers,
    Meshon

Meshon, could you explain what about the forests or hills looks 'forbidding'? I don't see it.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
    Meshon, could you explain what about the forests or hills looks 'forbidding'? I don't see it.
    Forbidding in the sense that there are dangerous things living there. The bright grass is like Happy Gnome Land and the darker regions are places your average person wouldn't want to go because they're scary. Places with names like Dire Forest, Bleak Hills, or Tulgey Woods. Does that make sense?

It's not a negative thing.

cheers,
    Meshon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast