Thread: My Dungeon Battle map (Wip)

Default My Dungeon Battle map (Wip)

Well, after trying to draw an island with mountains, and struggling, I figured I would try my hand at battlemaps. I found a ton of images here and on other sites which I've used to speed things along. I collected some images to use from Neyjour on here and deviantart. I also downloaded everything I could from Rpgmapmaker and from the user map elements on the Dundjinni forums.

I'm trying to give proper credit where it's due so if I use something and miss giving credit please correct me as I am just learning a more creative outlet in the form of having some fun making maps for D&D sessions. This is my first time playing and I figured I could contribute to the game with maps and illustrations.

Enough of me blabbing. Here is what I have so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1402927285468.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	64983

Let me know what you think about a pure beginners first attempt and keep in mind is nowhere near finished. This is my learning experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Looks like a good start. What program are you using? The texture for the first stretch of tunnel in the lower left seems a good deal darker than the rest.

Default Re: My Dungeon Battle map (Wip)

I'm using the Photoshop Elements 12 that came with my new Wacom tablet. I can probably lighten that up on that layer. I'll do that when I get home from work. I'm really having fun with this stuff. 😊

Looks nice, imo the texture for the background stone looks a bit too repetitive. Maybe you could try randomizing it a bit or simply choose a more tileable texture.

Out of curiosity what does the fact that the two tunnels don't communicate mean?

Default Re: My Dungeon Battle map (Wip)

I was trying to leave them separate so the DM could mask them and have a choice as to the location of the hidden door.

I'm not really sure how to represent hidden doors and I may just take those out later. Maybe make a separate map file of a winding hallway later and have a secret door token that the DM can put down wherever he wants in the cave since this is going to be used in vtt software.

You're off to a good start!

My only crit is (like Avengeil already mentioned) that the stone background needs some work. I'd suggest looking for a different texture, that's not so "busy" and doesn't have such a strong repeating pattern. I have the same trouble, finding good stone textures for the backgrounds of my dungeon/subterranean maps. You can also try paper/parchment textures as well. Or a mix of the two, with a fairly plain paper texture on the bottom layer, and a more textured stone texture on the top, set at a low opacity and/or some type of layer blending mode.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the Desecrated Library! If you don't already have them, supercaptain has some "scattered and burned books" on the DJ forums. I think I might have also seen some burned/broken bookshelves there as well, though I'm not 100% sure.

Also, RPGMapShare has tons of battlemapping freebies, and GreyTale has a nice selection of freebies on his site.

Hmmmmm, who is this supercaptain you speak of? 😊

Supercaptain is one of the members on DundJinni Forums, he has produced some great art.
    Here is a link to some of his bookshelves. Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Bookshelves
    And here is a link to Dragonwolf's burned versions (download the ZIP file) not the display jpg.
    Dundjinni Mapping Software - Forums: Burned furniture