Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern city maping with GIS data

Default Modern city maping with GIS data

Hello guild! here is a new project, mapping a present day mid sized city called Saintes. Files are getting big and there is a lot of work to do but here is a low res wip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Saintes_WIP.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	64992

Already more than a good start to me . You really have a knack for modern cities!
    Right now, my only critic would be about rivers. I would try to get a feeling of the flow somehow. It looks a bit too much like stagnant water.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this.

Guild Journeyer

Intense! A very comprehensive-looking effort!

I will agree with Ilanthar that something feels off about the river.

I noticed that you had a few red (and maybe white?) roofs sprinkled amongst the gold, are you planning on adding more variability to the roof colors as you continue?

Hey guys, thanks for the constructive feedbacks! I'll work on the rivers texture to corect that stagnant water feeling, probably by painting lines to represent the flow. For the red and white roofs, it is to differenciate basic buildings (gold) from industrial comercial zones (white) and special buildings (church, arena..). I will also add some colors to the floor to differenciate the main activity: sport, urban, grassland, sport area..
    Here's a quick update, the map has a much better resolution than those wip but files are too big for the forum

Name:	Saintes_WIP.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	65033

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Usually not a big fan on the bevel effect on buildings. here it looks off on some buildings (especially those with more complex shapes). Nice job overall though.

I agree that bevel effect has it limits, i'm still hesitating to keep it on general buildings. I'll try to manually improve the bevel render of the major places of the cities like arena and church but i still don't really know how i will proceed.

Almost finished the base of the map except the final color choices, next step will be in illustrator, adding some pictograms to locate major locations (inspiration from the noun project)

Name:	Saintes_WIP2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	65048
    Last edited by Francissimo; 06-18-2014 at 06:02 PM.

I did the final color adjustements and the pictograms, done in illustrator and inspired by icons found on the noun project (a gold mine for modern map icons). I have also sligtly reworked land textures and tried a new effect for fields. The next step will be labeling the major locations and roads.

Name:	Saintes_WIP2.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	65067

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Some shades turned heavy with your last color adjustment and almost make black areas. You might want to check it.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    It looks good. I live just outside a city that has a cnal and river going through it. Actually I have a problem with it being called a city, even though it is the second largest in the state. It is still a medium size town. I like how you have the rivers as part of the city and not really an after thought. With a modern city I would add one or two walk bridges to it.

My 2 cents
    Tracker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast