Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simulating Layer Effects in Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    maybe you have to reinstall GIMP, cause if you do a normal installation without having python and GTK installed on your system GIMP doesnt install everything you need for the python script to work.

Install everything from the link RobA provided, then reinstall GIMP and be sure to do a full installation. Afterwards the python script should work.

i did the full installation the first time, and i found the python folders (quite a few actually for me) but that still didnt work. Oh well, i dont mind not having a preview

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I must not have Python installed either... (no preview... [sniff]). But the script-fu works well enough.

Interestingly, though, it doesn't appear as a submenu on the Layers menu, but under the Script-fu menu instead.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I must not have Python installed either... (no preview... [sniff]). But the script-fu works well enough.

Interestingly, though, it doesn't appear as a submenu on the Layers menu, but under the Script-fu menu instead.
    yea it did the same to me..... okay actually it added a Script-Fu tab right after the Filters tab, but i dont mind

Only the python one would show up under layers.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    yea it did the same to me..... okay actually it added a Script-Fu tab right after the Filters tab, but i dont mind
    Well, yeah, that's what it did for me, too. I gather any other script-fus I DL will go here, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Only the python one would show up under layers.

-Rob A>
    Then that explains it. Thanks!

So, to make the python one work instead, I'd have to uninstall GIMP, install Python, then reinstall GIMP, is that right?

Somewhat related, I found when trying out the "overlay pattern" effect that the pattern selected within the effect's dialog box is not the pattern that is actually used when you execute the effect. Instead, at least for me, it uses the currently active pattern selected before the effect is launched.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Well, yeah, that's what it did for me, too. I gather any other script-fus I DL will go here, as well.
    It is actually up to the script author to pick where the script appears in the menus ("gets registered" in geek talk).

The Script-Fu menu is a bit of a throwback, and really, script authors should use the proper contextual location for what the effect does... It shouldn't manner to the use whether it is script-fu, python-fu or a compiled plugin, it should get registered where it makes sense (in this case, it SHOULD be in the Layers menu, IMOO)

Somewhat related, I found when trying out the "overlay pattern" effect that the pattern selected within the effect's dialog box is not the pattern that is actually used when you execute the effect. Instead, at least for me, it uses the currently active pattern selected before the effect is launched.
    That sounds like a bug...(checking)

...OK on line 1177 of the layerfx.scm file:
    Code:
        (gimp-context-set-pattern origpattern)
    should be
    Code:
        (gimp-context-set-pattern pattern)
    -Rob A>

Hi

I just want to ask if this script-fu/python-fu is still needed, as I found some layer filters in my GIMP 2.7.1

Quote Originally Posted by P4l1n0 View Post
    Hi

I just want to ask if this script-fu/python-fu is still needed, as I found some layer filters in my GIMP 2.7.1
    I don't have 2.7.1 but my understanding reading the docs is that you get layer groups. No layer effects like PS yet (which should come once GEGL is in the core for layer blend modes). SO the add-on (script-fu or python) is still handy.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12