Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novel Map - The Tornlands of Baedar (WIP)

Wip Novel Map - The Tornlands (WIP)

Hello guys and girls.
    My last map was in the process of being made when it lost it's mojo. It just stopped working for me.
    So I said to myself "Hey, why not go over your sketchbook to find some old stuff?", which I did, and I quickly found out that the 2009 version of me had some good ideas.
    After scanning one of them and quickly creating a land mask In Photoshop, I got the following result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map thing 1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	65021

And then I did some plans about where i want things to go (these are only rough sketches):

Name:	Map thing 2.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	65022

Tell me what you guys think of it. All kinds of criticism are welcome and appreciated
    Last edited by Azhel; 06-18-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Guild Member

I quite like the shape of those land masses! Do you have a style in mind for the map itself?

Yes I was planning on doing something similar to Tear's wonderful Westeros map:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...n-project.html
    And thanks

Shape looks as good as good to go, but about your placement of elevations and the "tectonic thingy": the two margins of that "new sea" should fit more, both in terms of shape and in terms of mountains (main point is that those mountains on the NW corner of the southern continent could well be prolonged into the SW corner of the northern one - just below the word "grass").

Also, placing all biomes from snow/ice to desert on a map like this will create a huge scale. Why don't you try to superimpose your draft on a map of Earth, aligning your biomes with similar regions - like Sweden to Sahara or Alberta to Mexico to see what I mean.

EDIT 1:

Here's the very crudely coloured terrain with a 2px stroke. I'm working on.. untiling the textures before I lay them down, but that's my priority right now.

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	65087

Also @Pixie, holla from Coimbra I've figured out how to superimpose it and I think that it shouldn't be that biomy, so I turned it down a little. It's a coldish country to the north with a little bit of snow on the top, but that's it. (aproximate size - USA/Canada border to Mexico Border - )

EDIT 2:
    Made a few decisions about the scale and overall size of the map. The continent would be the size of roughly Canada+America.
    I've also decided to remove the "tectonic" thingie, since it wouldn't work. The new reason for it is the lowering of the seawater that exposed the rough shelf.

I love the shape of the land masses, and if you have decided to set aside tectonics, then the placement of the mountain ranges and the rivers looks good, specially the rivers.

I look forward to see how you do the terrain, so keep on the good work, it's looking good.

Very interesting land shapes. I guess there has to be a lot at stakes around that sea arm in the middle!

Hi from Lisbon, ManofNaozen. From your spelling of "Ola" I suspect you are a foreign student at the Uni there, am I right?

As for your map, I am glad I helped you getting a better view of the scale you wanted to. I am also curious about which direction you are taking this. Are you aiming at a modern political map, a pictorial fantasy map, a satellite-view map? Knowing your intentions will make it easier for the experts here (folks like Max, Ilanthar, etc) to provide guidance (that is, if you wish it).

@Pixie I'm natural Portuguese from Coimbra (and I also used to live in Lisbon)
    About the direction, I'm going for a simple map with town labels and a few (very subtle) political borders. I also drew them up on paper to make it easier later. The style is used on the sketch is a bit too strong for what I'm looking for since it's basically a Sat view map with the political borders in there.
    It's also a Middle-ish fantasy setting, tilting toward the Dark-fantasy side.

Name:	e4twewsewetesd.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	65172

Hope that's legible, AKA my phone's camera sucks xD
    Last edited by Azhel; 06-24-2014 at 05:20 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast