Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fury of the Wastewalker

Wip Fury of the Wastewalker

For this summer my mini dming project is doing the Fury of the Wastewalker (with quite a few alterations to make it suit my taste). For those of you who don't know it FotW was the adventure for the second season of d&d encounters set in the world of dark sun.
    Hopefully I will complete all of the maps.

Here is the first encounter of the series.
    some stuff I want to fix is make the silt (sand and mud to the right) more realistic and trying to cover some more stuff in sand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 1 .jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	65037

Comments and criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Oh and do you have any ideas on how I can control the image from getting bigger and those edges coming outside the grid. I don't thinks it's a matter of grid placement because at the beginning it was fine.

Guild Journeyer

Hey Avengeil! Hope to see you stick with the mapping of this encounter, sounds fun!

My two cents, and by no means am i a professional. So if i was to guess, i'd say you are using gimp, if so i may be able to help a bit. If it's not gimp, ignore everything i say afterwards :-)

1. I also got very annoyed at my canvas expanding and it took me a while to find out what it was; Drop shadows. often times when i'd use the drop shadows tool it would expand my canvas to fit the shadows onto the canvas. How to fix it? Go to image, set canvas size, and however big you initially set it for, type that in, then move the image around in the preview box until it is lined up again. most times it'll be top left, since drop shadows is set for dropping to the right and down. Sometimes it will increase all sides so, there is a button for "centering" that will pretty much crop the edges.

As a last resort, delete your grid layer, go back to "image", "set canvas size", and just retype in the initial size (in increments of how big your grid squares are) an viola! done.

Oh and when you render the grid, make sure the off-sets are set to 0, or it will not align correctly.

2. Terrain transition. That is what i am working at as well. My best advice, overlap your two types of terrain a bit, pull out your eraser tool, decrease the opacity of it, and go down your transition line a bit. Then go back to the eraser tool, adjust the opacity down even more, and slide it down your transition line again. The end result is a more gradual transition, keep repeating until how you like it. i generally do 100% opacity, 75% opacity, 50% opacity, 25% opacity for a nice gradual fade. Doesn't work in every situation but it may help for this one. Works well with water/sand transition.

If gradual transition doesnt work try this: ,Which ever terrain is slightly taller, the sand vs silt, toss a third layer in between those and shade a bit at the transition line. just a tad, but it will give a bit more depth

3. Shadowing - create a new layer between your ground and your objects, label it "shadows". select your spray paint tool, select a nice tooltip i prefer the faded circle tip, select the black color, and then spray paint your shadows. the rocks, overturned cart, spilled merchant goods, should all have a bit more shadow on them imo.

4. Maybe throw in a rock,refuse, or bone poking out of the silt sea as well?

5. lastly, personal preference of course, but i'd suggest going gridless. With a few tabletop systems out there its gets tricky trying to line things up in each of those programs. Since most of them have a built in grid, let the users add a grid later on. However if you want to keep the grid, by all means, i'd just suggest toning the color down. If you have the grid on it's own layer, just bring the opacity of that layer down a bit. or pick a more neutral color.

anyways i hope this helps and if my pointers don't make sense, give me a shout and i'll try to explain better :-D
    Last edited by Kennyt; 06-18-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Your two cents seem to be worth a lot more(bone in the silt ).

Finally a solution for the expanding image.
    Now about the grid it is a must for me since we won't be using a VTT but I guess that I while go for gridless just so the maps can be easy to use.

I'll try the rest out tomorrow and see where it gets me.

Guild Journeyer

Absolutely, if your gonna have silt you gotta have a bone in it; it's a rule of thumb ;-D

here are a couple i rumaged up and isolated, you may be able to cut and pace pieces of them to nice effect. Like , scale the skull down a bit, throw the skull in the silt and erase a portion of it so it looks like its pokin'out.

Name:	bones.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	65044

Name:	whale bone.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	65043
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bones.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	65042  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

To get sand on top of things, just use a scatter brush with soft edges and paint sand into crevices and on top of rocks. I use photoshop, so I'm not sure of the exact process in gimp, but I would either paint white scatterings on a new layer and then fill it with the sand texture/pattern, or use the scatter brush to paint a mask.

Mess it up a bit, just like Kennyt said.

cheers,
    Meshon

It's been a rather busy week, hence the belated next step. I'm not that happy with my rocks that are coming out of the silt, might change it later.

The sandstorm hasn't yet come to visit.

Name:	Encounter 1 phase 5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	65256

And the sandstorm is here. I think I'm going to call it finished and move on to the next map which involves a cactus.

Name:	Encounter 1 final.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	65325
    Last edited by Avengeil; 06-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the next map!

Encounters two and three were made using madcowchef's excellent desert tiles and some copy pasting.

So here is encounter four. Nothing new here other than the fact that I'm trying out new sand textures.

Name:	Encounter 1-4 phase 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	65505  
    Last edited by Avengeil; 07-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.

A mini-update. A note for myself in the future before adding bevel effects make sure that you have the shapes the way you want them.

Name:	Encounter 1-4 phase 3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	65517  
    Last edited by Avengeil; 07-06-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast