Thread: Military Map -- Passchendaele, 1917

Help Military Map -- Passchendaele, 1917

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Rendering1.bmp 
Views:	146 
Size:	839.0 KB 
ID:	64984

Greetings!

I'm in urgent need of a mapmaker to illustrate a publication that goes to print in perhaps three weeks. The Editor appears quite satisfied with my own creation, which is a period battlefield map overlaid with movement arrows done in MS Paint, but I am unhappy with the results and am looking for a more polished look. I would have liked a three-dimensional image showing the movement of troops over the battlefield, but cost and time constraints demand a more conventional two-dimensional image. This should be relatively simple work for someone with the skills and software to interpret what I'm after.

I've attached my original drawing. I can pay $200 for up to one day's work. What I absolutely need is a sharper rendering of the original template so that place names and features are identifiable; sharp lines and arrows to indicate troop movement; classic military symbols to indicate units and battlefield obstacles (pillboxes, command posts, etc.); and lines to illustrate the starting point, objective, and final disposition of troops. If possible, I would like to have a little color, especially to denote water features and opposing forces; some way to distinguish changes in elevation; and perhaps a translucent overlay of shell craters to give the reader a sense of what the ground might have looked like. I have an image at my disposal for the latter.

The image, for publication purposes, must be high-resolution, perhaps as high as 3600 x 5400 pixels. The mapmaker will receive full credit in the publication and will receive a copy of the article, if he or she is interested in military history. Additional details, of course, can and will be provided upon contact. Anyone who is interested in undertaking this project can reach me directly at: Curtis_Mainville@Hotmail.com.

I thank you for your interest.

Curt

I want to thank everyone who responded to my request. I have now engaged a mapmaker to render the image. Regards to all.

CM