Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPG Regional Map in Progress

Wip RPG Regional Map in Progress

I needed a regional map for the GURPs RPG campaign I am setting up. This what I have so far, place names are coming. This is an area just south of the equator on my world, Most of the woods are jungle or rain forest. The larger towns, cities and forts are shown. There would be numerous small villages that are not shown at this scale. The mountains are relatively small averaging about 30 miles across and about 6,000 feet tall. In the desert just east of the mountains are some areas of wet sand. there are small springs and spring fed streams running into the western edge of the desert. The one Oasis is placed just over halfway across the total desert. The mountains were uplifted from the west. So the western slopes are steep with many cliff faces. They are mostly granitoids so are a source of some precious stones and metals. The eastern side on the mountains are sedimentary (limestone) and are dotted with caves. Some marble is quarried from this area.

The main exports from this area are sea food, spices, exotic lumber, gold and gem stones.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegionMap1a.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	68598

So besides place names, What am I missing, What do I do well, and what do I need to work on? (I know the Days on the scale are 1/2 the proper value and are already fixed on the original)

That map is very nice!
    How did you make the "dot, line, dot, line" roads between the cities?

You can make dotted lined by using GIMP's path tool. Draw the vector path you want then EDIT --> STROKE PATH. On the Stroke Path menu you will see + Line Style. Choose the one you want and press the STROKE Button. Instant dashed lines in GIMP.

You can also use any selection tool. Once you select an area and get the "marching ants" select EDIT --> STROKE SELECTION. choose the line style the same as above. You can draw outlines, circles, rectangles or whatever.

I was amazed when I found this out last week. I thought "How long has that been there?"

Oh I hoped you've had a PhotoShop solution for this! well thanks anyway

Sorry, I use the free stuff when I can. But there are many photoshop users here that can help you out.

That looks very nice!
    I do quite like your forests...
    Have some rep.

The tree and mountain brushes are from StarRaven at DeviantArt. I am working on a set of my own, but StarRaven has a beautiful set of cartography brushes.
    Last edited by Adversary; 10-27-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Now with a corrected scale and place names:

Name:	Region1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	68605

Next a border and key.

Nice! The coastal cliffs are effective, text nice and legible. Forest, hill, mountains plausibly located. It looks like you went back an put a bit of blur on some of the razor-sharp town & dock symbols? They don't need to blurred to the point of being washed out, but pixelated sharpness clashes with the antialiased mountains & slightly blurry trees. I bet the hut symbols could be drawn aliased, and thus the harmony improved.

But I like it even if you don't tweak anything- well done!

OK, Finished... I think. Should I put some flourishes in the center of each border?

Name:	Region.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	68622

I guess I could put in a key but I am running out of space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast