Thread: Hello, I'm new here.

Default Hello, I'm new here.

Hello everyone, my name is Jon and I'm new here to the forms. I've been a game master/Dungeonmaster for about 10 years now, and some of my favorite parts about being a Gamemaster is creating places and people to inhabit those places. I joined the forum so that I might be able to get some tips on drawing world and town maps for my games. I am definitely not an artist so anything that I can learn off of the forum will be very helpful. I am interested in the hands of drawing maps. I don't have anything against using a computer program, I just don't know how to use computers all that well and I think it would just be easier for me to do things by hand.

I have looked at some of the pictures in the gallery and you all are very talented. Thank you for reading my post and allowing me to introduce myself. If anybody has any tips that they can share with me feel free to respond to this post. I need all the help I can get

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hello, and welcome to the guild! The best tip I can give you is to start a project, even a small one, say a little village or even a farm, and then post it. Hand-drawn or digital, you'll get a better sense of where you're going once you start! There are lots of tutorials and the ideas in a lot of them aren't tied to digital media. I regularly plunder the maps here for ideas on how to represent various things. Enjoy your time!

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! I would second Meshon's post about starting a project so that we can offer you feedback and advice. Happy Mapping.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.