Thread: Testing Photoshop for mapping

Default Testing Photoshop for mapping

Well I had a few minutes at work and wanted to see if I could use the mouse and the basic filters and noise (clouds) to generate a reasonable landscape and the results look promising. I didn't want to clog the 'good' threads with my baby experiment so put it here. I do have some experience making natural textures and have been using Photoshop for other stuff for a long time so hopefully not starting from zero but I'm amazed when I see the incredible detail in the maps posted in these forums.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-ps-1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	65088
    Last edited by stormweasel; 06-20-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Wales Massachusetts
    Blog Entries

Great start !! Don't be afraid to post in the relevant WIP section, it's a great way to get feedback on your work. Speaking of feedback, I really like the shape of your landmass and the overall texture. I do have a couple of suggestions; The bodies of water appear to be "floating" above your landmass. This could be due to a drop shadow. try lowering the opacity of that shadow and maybe adding a light blur as well. I',m not sure what the scale of this is, but the stone texture seems large perhaps re-sizing that texture would help. As I stated earlier, it's a great start and keep up the good work !! (oh and have some rep )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Oops now that I get home I see the problem with my rivers - the monitor at work isn't calibrated (its a large LED TV) much less impressive. 8O