Thread: Old Atlas - Questions on appropriateness to post maps

Default Old Atlas - Questions on appropriateness to post maps

I am prefacing my post by saying that I am not religious, and this is not a religious post.

I have in my possession a "Rand/McNally Bible Atlas" dated 1899. Contained inside are some very nice old maps of old biblical cities and regions from the time of the Roman Empire. I thought some of this might be interesting to members who might be trying to draw similar towns/cities/regions of that period for ther games, or mimic the style in which these maps are drawn.

My questions are:
    1) is this appropriate?
    2) does this violate the TOS?
    3) where should it be posted?

Attached is a quickly scanned sample.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img000A.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1,006.2 KB 
ID:	65094

If this steps on anyone's toes, I (or the Mods) will/can take it down, and that will be the end of it. No hard feelings. I was strictly thinking of it's artistic merit.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

terms of service?

id be interested in seeing those maps actually

Guild Journeyer

Info Copyright Term

I think the important term here might be Copyright, and if you are in the United States any book published before 1923 should have an expired copyright and be in the public realm.

Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States

The details may change for other countries, but I think you should be safe.

In fact, Project Gutenberg, which shares some public realm works seems to already have a copy of "Rand/McNally Bible Atlas" up online.
    You can see that here:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41140...-h/41140-h.htm
    From the list of copyrights it looks like it may have been republished in 1908 and 1910. At least in the HTML version of the book the images appear to be present, and although slightly less nice than your scan, they are still fun to look at.

Thanks for pointing out this gem! My favorite so far is the section through Palestine.

Yes, truly thank you for sharing this! Both interesting and inspiring!

Question, upon the map attached to the first post numerous "Baths" are marked. "Baths of Constantine" "Baths of Angrippa". Does anyone know what Baths implies? (or does it in fact mean bathhouse?)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

since its roman era im guessing its actually bathhouses

Yes. Sorry. TOS is terms of service, or "the rules". Another board I belong to is BIG on this, and it's a common term there.

I'm new here and I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. Thanks for the positive comments. In reply to redkettle, yes. That's the book. I have the 1899 copy. It came from the rubble of a demolished house, and was among dozens of other old books, reams of old sheet music, handwritten notes, journals, and other stuff. It had all been run over with a backhoe, and was crushed into the dirt. I salvaged what I could and I am farming useful material out of it now. I thought I might have found a lost work of some kind, but apparently not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mmm 172.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	65107

If the entire thing is available online, should I clutter this place up with scans?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those are great reference items and are always welcome. Thanks so much for sharing
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.