Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarkamand

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip

I had finally some spare time to continue the work on this map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarkamand.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	66031  

Cool design, that's a lot of circles!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I like this a lot. Great use of the small key diagrams (rather than crowding the main graphic with more noise in the form of text overlays) that show the districts and quarters. Maybe they're neighborhoods? Since "quarter" implies "four"?

There's a lot of interesting information implied in the map. You can see the organic growth shown by the concentric circles of progressive walls. You can see the canals dug by the city planners, and the difference in the types of sediment in the rivers where they meet. It certainly has an Al-Qadim feel, and a bit of a Dark Sun feel (although I suppose Dark Sun usually has MORE slums and BIGGER ritzy stuff, emphasizing the disparity between the god-kings and their subjects).

One interesting thing is how intact the interior walls seem to be. In many cities, you'd expect the citizenry to cannibalize the interior walls for repairs or new houses once the new exterior walls have been completed. I'm sure this pattern doesn't always hold, however. There must be many reasons why interior walls would still dominate the urban landscape.

But what those interior walls inspire in me is a desire to see a revolution in this city, with block-by-block fighting, street barricades, and whole neighborhoods being held by one faction or another. There's a lot of drama in that.

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I like this a lot. Great use of the small key diagrams (rather than crowding the main graphic with more noise in the form of text overlays) that show the districts and quarters. Maybe they're neighborhoods? Since "quarter" implies "four"?

There's a lot of interesting information implied in the map. You can see the organic growth shown by the concentric circles of progressive walls. You can see the canals dug by the city planners, and the difference in the types of sediment in the rivers where they meet. It certainly has an Al-Qadim feel, and a bit of a Dark Sun feel (although I suppose Dark Sun usually has MORE slums and BIGGER ritzy stuff, emphasizing the disparity between the god-kings and their subjects).

One interesting thing is how intact the interior walls seem to be. In many cities, you'd expect the citizenry to cannibalize the interior walls for repairs or new houses once the new exterior walls have been completed. I'm sure this pattern doesn't always hold, however. There must be many reasons why interior walls would still dominate the urban landscape.

But what those interior walls inspire in me is a desire to see a revolution in this city, with block-by-block fighting, street barricades, and whole neighborhoods being held by one faction or another. There's a lot of drama in that.
    I think as long as there are possible threats from neighbouring empires or barbarian tribes the internal walls will be in top condition. Of course, internal strife might get interesting if some parts of the city can be easily defended against others.

That compass rose is beautiful! Great design.

I love this city. It's really re-inventing the circle-shape city concept. What are you putting in the left part btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    That compass rose is beautiful! Great design.
    Thank you! I wanted to go with a more floral or ornamental style this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I love this city. It's really re-inventing the circle-shape city concept. What are you putting in the left part btw?
    Thank you! The legend will be in the left part.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, that's a very original concept too. And I like the separate key, it's always tricky overlaying text on a map.

Wip

Legend added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarkamand.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	66463  

I have to say that I'm almost sad to see those pretty buildings covered by those big numbers. I would reduce them a bit or add a bit of transparency, I think it would keep being readable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast