Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarkamand

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I have to say that I'm almost sad to see those pretty buildings covered by those big numbers. I would reduce them a bit or add a bit of transparency, I think it would keep being readable.
    Good point, Ilanthar.
    I reduced the numbers in size. I also added a first idea for flags - upper one the empire, below the capital.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sarkamand.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	66610  

Wip

I replaced the flags with a more elaborate seal.

Views:	52 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	66867  

The scope of this map is dizzying...and I mean that in a good way! It just has a feeling of vastness to it. Tons of detail, the layout is marvelous...

Quote Originally Posted by syris View Post
    The scope of this map is dizzying...and I mean that in a good way! It just has a feeling of vastness to it. Tons of detail, the layout is marvelous...
    Thank you!

I guess this is more or less finished if I don't have another striking idea.

This is amazing. I really like the overall layout and how the canal circle through the High City. I imagine that this could be a great setting for a book or a rpg. Love it.

But before you call it finished I would like to add my two cents. First, have you considered any outskirt settlements? I don't know how it usually looks outside Arabic cities (pardon me if I'm wrong), but I would expect that for such a large city, there would at least be some colonies where the rivers enter and exit the city. Second, I think you should make the numbers on the map a little larger again. Not as large as they were, but something between the two. The details on this map are so elaborate that right now the numbers blend into the map and almost disappear.

Cheers

By Sapiento
    I replaced the flags with a more elaborate seal.
    Oh, good idea! It matches much better the other elements (the compass rose, the border...)! Very cool and intricate seal.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    This is amazing. I really like the overall layout and how the canal circle through the High City. I imagine that this could be a great setting for a book or a rpg. Love it.

But before you call it finished I would like to add my two cents. First, have you considered any outskirt settlements? I don't know how it usually looks outside Arabic cities (pardon me if I'm wrong), but I would expect that for such a large city, there would at least be some colonies where the rivers enter and exit the city. Second, I think you should make the numbers on the map a little larger again. Not as large as they were, but something between the two. The details on this map are so elaborate that right now the numbers blend into the map and almost disappear.

Cheers
    Good idea with the outskirt settlements,, thanks; I added some.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Oh, good idea! It matches much better the other elements (the compass rose, the border...)! Very cool and intricate seal.
    Thanks!

I think the road labels are now a bit hard to read.

Views:	62 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	66924  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 08-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Any suggestions for this map?

Maybe you could add some textures to the buildings.

They look too clean for me, you need something dusty.
    Last edited by Azélor; 08-28-2014 at 10:07 AM.

This map gives me flashbacks to the Dark Sun campaigns I ran. Which is awesome.

I'm getting some strange visual effects as my brain tries to see it, skipping from photo realism, to cartoony, to more information based. Personally I kind of like that it can cause that visual instability in me. I think adding more texture to it would inhibit that effect though, but could also make it more "solid" as a work.

I am curious as to why the rivers are two different colours, I'm assuming it's because the blue Sigros flows into the greenish Ophrat, but it doesn't read that way to me, it just looks like a mismatch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast