Thread: Introducing myself

Default Introducing myself

Well, hello there!
    I'm a brand new member to these forums and have only known about this site for a very short while, which is a shame because I would have greatly appreciated all the maps and tips/learnings that is found here going back several years. I have never tried to make a graphical map, but I've spent years drawing on paper. No matter how many maps I make I never seem to be satisfied with the result, but I'm hoping that that'll end know that I've found this site! Who knows, maybe I'll even post one of my maps here some day.

One thing that's been on my mind ever since I found you guys is, how many of you take into consideration tectonic plate movement, the mountains created thereof, ocean currents, climate and if you take the curvature of the Earth in consideration when making continent sized maps? In short; how realistic do you try to make your maps? Because this is the part that always makes me do and re-do my maps...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome to the guild, Vidgange! I personally don't have much to do with plate tectonics and the like, but there are a number of active threads right now with people working on such projects. You'll also find a lot of tips and ideas about all those aspects of world-building that you're interested in. There's no limit here to how far down the rabbit-hole you can go...

cheers,
    Meshon

Thank you for the information Meshon! I'm sure I'll be spending hours upon hours reading these forums about things like this. Do you know where these discussions are taking place? Under what sub-forum?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I would check the Regional/World Mapping forum first. There are a few threads I've seen there; searching will get you more.

A couple of tectonic wizards at work:
    Akubra's world.
    Pixie's Planet.

And you could try plugging this into google: "climate site: cartographersguild.com" (without the quotation marks).

Enjoy the search!

cheers,
    Meshon

Aren't you quite the life saver (well, at the very least a TIME saver) Meshon?! Thank you very much! If everyone is as friendly as you are I will feel quite at home here