Thread: Realm of Naghordia

Map Realm of Naghordia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Naghordia.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1,003.8 KB 
ID:	64449

Realm of Naghordia is an old project i created for a fantasy novel I never actually finished. Nevertheless, about a year ago I started rewriting the book so the map became alive once again...
    This is my work so far, basicly used photoshop.

I welcome any kind of ideas or submissions!
    Last edited by Nargon; 05-27-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hi Nargon, welcome to the Guild. I moved your thread in the WIP section, which seems to be the proper area

Alright i have no problem Forgive me but i am new to this and I dont really know where to post what

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

No problem Nargon, you'll get used to the forums pretty soon

Hi Nargon,
    Some of the fonts are hard for me to read. I think because the stroke/color combination. Particularly with darker colors with black stroke, it is hard to differentiate. I like the unical font you used for the seas. That is a nice font and it is easy to read with the black stroke.
    Cheers,
    Cuin

----------------------
    on instagram at cuin_the_cartographer

I have to agree with Cuin.

I like the overall concept, but the color palette and the color of the fonts make it a little confusing visually, I think.

First of all, the sea and the land seem too similar in color tonality to me. What I mean is, both colors are too dark or strong so they fight with each other for attention instead of complementing and balancing each other. This issue is obvious with the rivers, which can hardly be seen.

Second, I like the font you've used too, but as you've been told, many are not very legible because of the color and stroke combination. Visually, white seems to work the best for me, but if you need to convey different regions or nations through font colors, then perhaps you could experiment a bit more with them. I'd say, personally, that green, dark blue and the smaller red labels need the more attention.

Last thing that I could share my thoughts on is the land shape. I like the overall shape, but perhaps it would benefit from adding more detail to the coastlines so it's not so pointy and smooth, but only if you'd like it to look a bit more realistic, if you are not looking for that, forget about it.

That said, I warn you that despite my post count, I'm a total noob and I've never finished a real map, so take my thoughts as you may, since I've not authority on the matter. Second, I hope I didn't discourage you in any way, what you have it's a good start that just needs polishing, and depending on the tools you are working with, that polishing it's not a lot or work, so keep going please.
    Last edited by groovey; 06-26-2014 at 07:15 AM.