Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Max's Workshop

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I 2nd what Nightshade400 said, your work is inspiring. Just starting to get into map-making.

First off, this workshop is a gold-mine for someone looking for inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing!

Second, I was wondering, just how big are your map files? What about document dimensions and resolution? I do understand that these probably vary a lot on each map, but is there some average numbers you can give me? I'm mostly thinking about the bigger world maps here.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thank you guys, I should update this more often but you know, work, life and stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    First off, this workshop is a gold-mine for someone looking for inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing!

Second, I was wondering, just how big are your map files? What about document dimensions and resolution? I do understand that these probably vary a lot on each map, but is there some average numbers you can give me? I'm mostly thinking about the bigger world maps here.
    Some of my biggest maps are for instance 24x59", 25x36", 33x46", 40x55". They're either in 150 or 300dpi.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Thank you guys, I should update this more often but you know, work, life and stuff....

Some of my biggest maps are for instance 24x59", 25x36", 33x46", 40x55". They're either in 150 or 300dpi.
    Wow...I must be doing something ankward, then. I have been making my stuff with a resolution of 300dpi as well, using the "normal" 2000x2000px canvas, but when I zoom in it's a lot more blurry and less detailed than yours.

Any tricks there? I use a round brush as well for most stuff...

BTW Amazing stuff as always!
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TK. View Post
    Wow...I must be doing something ankward, then. I have been making my stuff with a resolution of 300dpi as well, using the "normal" 2000x2000px canvas, but when I zoom in it's a lot more blurry and less detailed than yours.

Any tricks there? I use a round brush as well for most stuff...

BTW Amazing stuff as always!
    The dpi is useful but likely where you're running into trouble is the canvas size. At 300dpi your map is going to be smaller than 7" x 7" whereas one of Max's 25x36 maps at just 150dpi would have a canvas size of 3750 pixels by 5400 pixels. Try making your canvas size larger to start with.

Hope that's useful!
    Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

What Meshon said. Consider that with 300dpi, the print size will roughly be 30% of the 100% screen size of your file ( 7200x10800px for a standard 24x36").

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    What Meshon said. Consider that with 300dpi, the print size will roughly be 30% of the 100% screen size of your file ( 7200x10800px for a standard 24x36").
    Duh! Makes total sense! Thanks!

My Deviantart

Max

To me, the most amazing feature of your art, is the coloring and all the combinations you manage to produce between the elements. So, if you ever feel like, could you make a step-by-step of the coloring/brush process, with colors and brushes used?

Thanks in advance and keep them coming!

My Deviantart

Thanks TK. Not sure I'll have time soon, I'm pretty busy lately but I'll try to do my best.

Haven't update this thread for ages. Ok so here's some details on my process about mountains colors. This is related to my map of the 6 realms and you can also find the WIP of this map here where I previously posted this mini-tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains coloring minitut.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	79172

1. First, on a new layer, I paint the mountains basic color (with a desatured brown color not too far from the overall tone of the background) with a round fuzzy low opacity brush ( dynamic opacity set to pressure) to blend the color with the background.
    2. I reduce the opacity of this layer to 40%. This isn't a necessarily stage, rather a choice I've made on this map. It helps blending more, having some transparency with the background colors (especially since there's some greenish, brownish and yellowish terrains on the map) so the mountains will keep some consistency all over the map while having some slightly different shade regarding the terrains where they're located.
    3. On a new layer set to multiply, I use the same color with the same brush to add shadows. Assuming the light is coming from the left/up left, the shadows are applied on the right sides of the reliefs, with more pressure close to the main summits and the ridges then lighter pressure the more you move to the right, or on some secondary ridges that catch the light. No need to be overdetailed here. What you see on the picture is 100% screen size but the print size is likely 30% of that.
    4.On a new layer set to screen, I use the same color with the same brush to add highlights. A quick wor with a light pressure on the pen, adding a general light on the left faces of the mountains. I didn't want overpowered mountains here, with higher contrast but this could be easily done with a stronger pressure for more lights.
    5. On a new layer set to screen, I use the same color and the same brush to add more light, roughly focusing on main summits and top of the main ridges. Here again, regarding scale and print size, no need to go too fancy.
    6. This is an optionnal stage I didn't choose to go with on this map but it's something I use sometimes : adding some extra colors on the mountains. I create a new layer set to color blending mode just below the shadows/highlights layers and with the same brush I paint some color starting at the top of the mountains and going lower on pressure near the bottom to blend the color with the mountain base. Here, some gray to give some natural rocky feel to the mountain but you can add whatever color you want depending on what you aim.

You can use other kind of technic/setting, for instance the overlay blending mode (with a dark desaturated color layer for the shadows and a very light desaturated color layer for highlights) also works well but it's up to everyone, depending on what you aim on the specific map you're making. The one I used here has the advantage that you work with only one color so its' easier and faster to do.
    Last edited by - Max -; 01-15-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast