Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Buildings

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Drawing Buildings

Hi, I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for tutorials or references to drawing 3d towns and buildings. Or perhaps a reference to the different styles and ways to make the towns pop off the map. I have found lots of images to use as a reference but would be nice to see some instruction on scaling and positioning all the different elements also.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hello. It would help if you could post links to some examples of what you're after, like an example of the style you hope to create. Are you just looking to make little graphics to represent towns on a regional map, or are you wanting to do an isometric expansion of a building, or perhaps some other thing?

Let me know and I'll see if I can help!

cheers,
    Meshon

Sometimes I use 3D for creating buildings, but generally only for complex structures that aren't easily done in vector or image editing. Probably use Sketchup. Creating buildings is rather simple and straight forward.

However, most buildings are pretty simple to do. Attached is an illustration of the steps I do to create photo-realistic buildings that "pop out" in my maps using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 9 (a vector drawing application), but the technique can be done in most vector or image editing applications, including Photoshop/GIMP/Illustrator/Inkscape.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easy-buildilngs.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	65244
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the replies,
    Meshon the kind of thing I'm after is this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	65246

I know there are a lot of images like this I could use but I would like to create my own set of buildings and features to use for the more detailed maps.

Thank you Gameprinter! I have illustrator and photoshop perhaps I could use this technique for the smaller towns and create ones like above for the bigger featured buildings.

Thank you for the help guys!

Ah, an isometric view map and structures, well had you said that, I'd understood better. I do those as well, and though I would create the base in 3D, I often use the 3D created element as a reference to do a hand-drawn version, that I finish and place in my maps. I don't do many isometric maps, I have done a half dozen or so - and will probably do more eventually.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Ah thank you, apologies I'm brand new to map making did not know the term for it was isometric view!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I just did an isometric exterior for the last Lite Challenge which you can check out. It shows what I started with. Like Gamerprinter says, I used a simple shape outline first (and also built a model in SketchUp for reference) and then started filling stuff in. I'm going to continue working on the buildings here but that will mostly just be painting in Photoshop. I do have an isometric grid set up for Adobe Illustrator and if you want that I will figure out a way to share it with you.

I only posted links to my stuff because I know for sure where they are. You can also search the site for "isometric" or use a Google site search (isometric site: cartographersguild.com) which will get you to a whole bunch of information and ideas on isometric mapping from the guild members who are really good at it.

cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks Meshon! That's super helpful to see the process that you went through, I've seen lots of finished buildings but no idea how anyone got there to make my own so this is great thanks so much!

Sarah

Here's one of my isometric maps, I used for a Map Challenge here at the guild. The first image shows some 3D buildings placed in a hand-drawn area map
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Here's one of my isometric maps, I used for a Map Challenge here at the guild. The first image shows some 3D buildings placed in a hand-drawn area map
    Thanks so much! These are really great now I have a much better understanding of where to start and it does not seem such a daunting task! Can you guys recommend a good program for making 3d building shapes in that is suited to a beginner in 3d. I've lots of experience in photoshop and illustrator but I have never worked with any 3d programs so perhaps one without a very steep learning curve!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast