Thread: Photoshop , gradient layer, textures and realistic imaging

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Photoshop , gradient layer, textures and realistic imaging

Hello ...

I have in mind to achieve something but I am not sure if it is possible or if there is a technique to do so by using photoshop.

I am not an expert with that program but I know it for some time now and I use generally photoshop cs 6 .

Now this is my idea :

I have some layers in a photoshop image

one is a background , dark , blue , sea , nevermind

above there is the heightmap of a world , island or whatever else , but without ocean and seas ( cutted out of the layer )

Then I press gradient map , I load a gradient that shows blue as bottom right and goes throught green , then up to brown and finally white on right , this applaying over the image colorizes the heightmap like a geographic map .

Now my idea was to use the same technique but instead of using plain colors , to use actual textures that so get blended in the gradient style , placing so mountain textures for the mountains , snow , for white, grasslands for the green , etc ...

Something like that is possible?

If not ....

how about using the heightmap as a altitude filter?

So that I can use different layers of textures and use a mask to make pass throught only the texture I want for a certain range of height?

Thanks for any answer I hope I was clear .

There is a select by color feature in Photoshop that will allow you to select an altitude region with the eyedropper. You could then use that selection as a source for a mask on a texture layer. I don't have PS available to me right at the moment, but I believe it's Select > Select by color... Then the mask refine tools can be used to adjust the transition zones between textures.

I don't think there's a way to directly create a texture gradient. I would think that it would get really muddy with a continuous gradient, anyway.

Also, the advantage of using the masks on texture layers is that the workflow is non-destructive and you can modify the masks separately from the heightmap, allowing you to customize the biomes instead of having them follow the altitude absolutely.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Alguem fala portugues aqui?