So I had the most interesting visit to my shop this morning. A Buddhist regional bishop (?) approached me about the possibility of developing a board game (or other format) as a teaching tool to help people understand the process of achieving enlightenment and personal understanding using the process and states of mind in the Buddhist Wheel of Life and Death. At this point, though I know the games goal is achieving enlightenment, I don't yet fully comprehend the process or the various stages on the wheel - or even if there is a viable game in this proposed project. Despite that, its sounds interesting, and something to explore in pre-development. I happen to be the only person the bishop (she) knows in the game industry.

Among the thoughts forming in my head at this point:

• A cooperative game where all players win or lose - the path to enlightenment is a selfless journey
  • Multiple spinners on each (3) layer of the wheel for random progression
  • Multiple card decks to draw from depending where you land on the wheel, step by step
  • Random placement of steps of the wheel that change session to session

Due to the complexity of the Buddhist Wheel of Life and Death concepts, there would need to be a detailed Instruction Handbook, thus I don't think this game would work as a phone app, rather a physical board game.

I've never designed a board game before, so I will be recruiting help from various game industry pros, I know or will know as the process moves forward.

Once I fully understand the game, and design the board itself, the project will probably become a Kickstarter project to fund it.

Thoughts?

Attached is a classical illustration of the Buddhist Wheel of Life and Death.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buddhist-wheel-small.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	65290