Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Map (WIP)

Thanks Akae!

The last part was quicker to achieve, hopefully! Now, borders and labels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65644d1404998497-los-angeles-map-wip-65605d1404861215-los-angeles-map-wip-la-uleft.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	65648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65645d1404998528-los-angeles-map-wip-65606d1404861296-los-angeles-map-wip-la-uright.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	65649

Name:	65646d1404998550-los-angeles-map-wip-65607d1404861367-los-angeles-map-wip-la-dleft.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	65650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LA DRight.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	65651

As usual, I'm really not confident in my labels... and would gladly have your view . Could you read everything? Would you change something (colors, effects, fonts...)?

Since I'll have just a ton of labels to put, I need to be sure about it.

Name:	LA labels.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	876.0 KB 
ID:	65664

Your font selection is perfect. Have more confidence!

It reminds me of older hand drawn blueprints, the ones where the drafters had impeccable handwriting, but you could still tell it was made by hand.

Looks phenomenal!

Wow, i haven't looked your thread for a few days and i can see the map is getting better and better! The way you sugest buildings in a very subtle way is awesome, and your labels are starting really well so far. I can feel you'l have a lot of work on that if you want to name all streets

Thanks a lot bleedscarlet! I'm confident about my tastes but I'm always wondering about my maps are easy to use/read or not. And I'm very confident in the fact that the guild is of precious help .

By Francissimo
    I can feel you'l have a lot of work on that if you want to name all streets
    Yep, that's my intent. I just came back from holidays (btw, I was in Parthenay for the FLIP, not so far from your home isn't it?). So I'm gonna start the labelling again soon.

This is fantastic work. One tiny quibble: it's Caltech, not Cal Tech. They tend to be very particular about that.

Ha! Thanks Ares96, for the kind words and for the precision. I'll fix that

The map is huge, so I'm probably let a few streets without labels... and I'm gonna use repeated labels (as below, left part mainly) to clarify the reading. I just hope it's won't be too crowded in the end... I'll show the upper-left quarter when finished.

Name:	LA labels suite.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	899.7 KB 
ID:	65905

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I just came back from holidays (btw, I was in Parthenay for the FLIP, not so far from your home isn't it?).
    Yep not far from my home, i didn't even know there was such a cool event so close to me, i'll definitly try to go next year! And about the map your labels are going well, both font and size are really good. Little suggestion, maybe you can give them a little more contrast with the rest of the map for an improved readability, a bit more opacity on the text or a outer glow effect?

If you're as much a gamer as I am, you can't refuse a gaming festival Plus, a lot of board games use a map! Thanks for the suggestion, I've increased the street labels to full opacity (an outer glow would be very long to do...).
    Better no?

Name:	LA labels suite.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	65943

Where are you getting your neighbourhood boundaries from? The Los Angeles Times has some fairly authoritative ones as part of their project Mapping L.A. which I tend to use. Plus, they get a bit more detailed than the ones you've got.

Also, are you adding the Metro to the map?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast