Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland, hand drawn.

Map Iceland, hand drawn.

A map of Iceland with travel route; hand-drawn and painted on 18 x 24 in. paper, using pen, ink, and watercolor.

This is actually the second version I've done with this route--the first being a gift for my brother (and requested by him) who was one-in-a-group on this ten day adventure. This second map was commissioned by another of the traveling companions, and, after months of researching maps, tracking down place and river names, and doing five or six consecutive design stages for the first map... this one was quite a bit simpler. It could still stand a third version to work out all of the kinks and misspellings--of which there are probably at least two--and I may like to do another in the future, so... I know the image is a bit small but, if anyone spots an inaccuracy, I would very much appreciate a point-out.

Hope you like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C Iceland map web.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	68395
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks great, Chashio! I keep meaning to do this with a real-world location but I keep chickening out

Thanks Gidde! It was a lot of researching and quadruple-checking, but there's not a lot of free online info on Iceland's features... at least not the ones I needed. I bet Maine, a place I've been wanting to map and actually know, would be easier, but I haven't quite talked myself into that one yet, so I know what you mean.

Nice work Chashio. I'd love to see what you'd do with Maine. All those little islands and inlets would a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Nice work Chashio. I'd love to see what you'd do with Maine. All those little islands and inlets would a feat.
    That's for sure. But I have a new friend called Liquid Mask. Maybe when my ongoing projects see their final turn I'll start a new map of Maine. Thanks

Excellent work! Nice line work, and the watercolors help set it off nicely. I like the texture you put in the ocean.

Let me know how the Liquid Mask works! I've been too paranoid of the paper getting torn up when I take it off to use it.

Great Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Let me know how the Liquid Mask works! I've been too paranoid of the paper getting torn up when I take it off to use it.
    Main things... Use it with the suggested type of paper (I'm not entirely sure I did, but it was what I had available), put it on thick enough (the paint seeped through faintly in a couple of thinner spots, and removal is easier when the layer is strong enough to not break in tiny pieces which involve more rubbing to get off fully), take it off within a day where possible (the paper didn't tear but got a touch fuzzy where ends of fibers pulled up in some places because all of the fjords and small details made the application of the mask take a little over two days), and don't buy the clear stuff thinking it'll be a boon to see the paper color underneath (I had to work in lower light and shine a flashlight across the surface in order to use the reflection off the mask to see where the edge of it was, and it was still difficult). Oh, and always do a small scrap test using the same materials (and expected time-frame, in this case) before working with something you're unsure of on the final piece. I was using Winsor & Newton Colourless Art Masking Fluid and using the soap-dipped brush suggestion from this video so I could use one of my finer ones and not destroy it, which worked nicely. Hope that's helpful.

It's extremely helpful, thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast