Thread: WIP: Raethin

Wip WIP: Raethin

The world in which most of my fantasy stories take place. The red line is the equator.

I need some critique on the shapes of my landmasses and everything before I get to detailing. I did paint some basic biomes and whatnot onto the map first, just to give an idea of what it will look like in the end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raethin.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	65438

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I like it, I like two elements in particular. The enclosed sea is a great reason for vibrant trading cultures to develop. And narrow land masses are always perfect spots for borders and territorial conflict! Now, I'm not totally sure what the scale is, but if the dolphin looking island at the upper right is a polar region then the land masses almost feel like they need a little more complexity, but that's just based on my opinion and preferences. Again, it depends on your scale. Is this the whole world, or just a portion? i.e. do the upper left and bottom right corners connect with each other?

Keep it up, you have a great start!

cheers,
    Meshon

This is the "Known" World, which would take up about third of the actual globe. The rest of the world I will map later.

I agree more complexity is needed. In what manner should I add the complexity? Would lakes and rivers suffice, or should I go about modifying the shorelines?

Name:	Raethin2.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	65447

Updated with lakes and rivers. Anything else I need to work on?

Your rivers are rather off. I would recommend reading through this thread to get a better feel for river shape and placement. Basically, you have problems because you show your rivers forking (which does not happen on a large scale).
    As far as other things to add, I would recommend adding mountains. These should work well with a re-evaluation of river placement, as rivers always flow from highlands to lowlands. The overall shape of your map reminds me of an impact crater - if that is the intent, perhaps add a bunch of mountains on along the inner sea which were thrown up by the blast?

-Seleucus I

I'm updating the map as well. I agreed that my continents needed to be a bit more complex, so here's just a blank revised map.

Name:	Raethin.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	739.6 KB 
ID:	65595

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Really like them landmasses.

I seem to know the main things I want, but I can't quite decide how I want them to look. Anyway, here's the latest version, updated to fit to a circular grid system.

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	581.4 KB 
ID:	65762

.. a circular grid system - is it like an polar view? That is, are you showing one hemisphere?

No. I'm just playing with ideas so I'm not sure if it's a good one yet, but the thought is to have the people of the fantasy world orient themselves based off of the distance from the center island.

Although, thinking about it now, that wouldn't make terribly much sense with the existence of compasses and other navigational gear, but I still needed to try it out.

I may go back to the previous version of the map.