View Poll Results: June 2014 Challenge - Finish it !

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • OCD Mountains - by Xpian

16 55.17%
  • The Corruption - by Lostatsea

8 27.59%
  • The Kingdoms of Albion and Nivirem - by Goombac

19 65.52%
  • The Land of Evening's Shadow - by Tomalak

1 3.45%
  • City of Fingard - by Carbus

6 20.69%
  • The Hills of Wind and Winter - by NedS298

0 0%
  • The Borderlands - by Timallen

5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** June 2014 Challenge Voting - Finish it ! ***

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    there is no rule about it but it feels wrong to me.
    The way I view these things is more like an election or something, and quite frankly if you don't vote for yourself in an election then why should anyone else? In addition because one has the opportunity to choose multiple candidates you can also vote for other maps you like even when voting for yourself.

In response to the unfinished look of my map: It most unfortunately is unfinished. Even some of the completed work is not posted, because my work shifts doubled and I missed the deadline. I really enjoyed this challenge though, and I had alot of fun with the map. I hope the other entrants enjoyed the special strictures and limitations as much as I did.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    In addition because one has the opportunity to choose multiple candidates you can also vote for other maps you like even when voting for yourself.
    That's actually a pretty good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's actually a pretty good point.
    My two cents on the subject: I see it very differently from an election; in a public competition (think of a sport competition like boxing or diving) usually no one can judge his performance, according to the rule that the Romans thus epitomized: “nemo judex in re sua” (roughly translated: no one can be judge of himself).
    Sure, the perfect thing would be an impartial judge (or jury) and none of the competitors voting fore anyone (himself or others).
    Since this community is based on shared interests, kindness and courtesy, everything is left to the good sense and fair play, and in my personal view of things, far play, at least, should discourage anyone to vote for himself (and kindness should allow to vote for the deserving others).

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I totally agree with Fabio.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That too is a good point, fabio. I guess if you're voting for a politician, you're voting on the strength of what they promise to do but haven't actually done yet, while here, you're voting on what's already been accomplished.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I also agree with Fabio, in the sense that it's difficult to judge oneself. I'm not sure this implies that one cannot or should not vote for one's own project, however. Imagine someone who loses the competition by one vote--he might feel a little foolish if he had not voted for himself. If that same person who lost by one vote also sees that his main competitor, the winner, actually did vote for himself, the feeling of foolishness is compounded. If, on the other hand, each competitor is assumed to cast a vote for his own project (at the minimum*), then the rest of the chips will fall where they may and no one needs to feel like they missed an opportunity. No one needs to feel they had lost due to their own good manners.

* It's my first vote and I didn't realize I could vote for more than one project. When I see radio buttons I think, "either / or, multiple choice." When I see check boxes I think, "check as many as apply." It's my mistake and I'll spread more votes around next time.

As I cannot extend my existing thread, I'd like to ask here if anyone interested would send me any final thoughts/impression/advice on my unfinished map to my inbox, as I will attempt to polish it up after my schedule calms down.

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I also agree with Fabio, in the sense that it's difficult to judge oneself. I'm not sure this implies that one cannot or should not vote for one's own project, however. Imagine someone who loses the competition by one vote--he might feel a little foolish if he had not voted for himself. If that same person who lost by one vote also sees that his main competitor, the winner, actually did vote for himself, the feeling of foolishness is compounded. If, on the other hand, each competitor is assumed to cast a vote for his own project (at the minimum*), then the rest of the chips will fall where they may and no one needs to feel like they missed an opportunity. No one needs to feel they had lost due to their own good manners.
    I can see both points of view. If you feel like your map is the best then why not vote for yourself. But I also agree that it is better sportsmanship to not vote for yourself.
    AND I have been on both sides of the argument. In high school ( a very long time ago ) we were voting for captain of the cross country team and I voted for myself. While the vote was secret, the coach congratulated me for wining by a Unanimous Vote. Everyone knew I voted for myself and I was very embarrassed. More recently, in one of these challenges, I lost by one vote when I voted for the person who won instead of myself. Personally, I was happier losing this way, than I would have been if I won by just my own vote.

If I were running for election to office, or if a lot of money was involved I might feel different and vote for myself, but these challenges are more about having fun and doing the best you can. Wining is nice, but certainly not that important.

The big difference between an election and these votes is the number of voters. In normal elections, at least thousands of people cast their vote. Statistically, your vote is completely worthless. It changes nothing if one person decide not to vote. (the problem comes when 40% of the people decide individually to stay at home, but that is a different issue) Yes, there is a chance that 2 candidates will receive the same number of vote but it's exceptional and a recounting usually sort things out...

But here, we normally have less than 50 people voting. Each vote have a much bigger impact on the total.

I don't think we need a rule about this, it's more a matter of ethics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast