Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Subterrainian Map Prettier Script

Guild Applicant

Hello Rob.
    Very nice job and very helpful.
    Is there a way to translate the content of the box in french.
    We promote your job on this website but there are a lot of people there that don't speak or read english and who would like to use your work.
    Thank you

Hi! Thank you for this script, I really love it. I wanted to give a holler here to say that I created a tutorial for complete beginners to using Cartocopia's Dungeon Map Maker script for GIMP and creating nice maps. It took me a lot longer to write this than the combined time of finding the script, learning to use it, and producing the map that became Figure 4 in this tutorial! The tutorial is probably too basic for many of the power users here, but I'm hoping it will be of use to at least a few people. Enjoy!

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    RobA,

Yes I did. But still hides the bottom. On my laptop, which is 1024x768 everything is displayed except for the very bottom choices. But i played with it and found that 3 Tabs and then Enter will execute the script. On my desktop, which is 1366x768 more is hidden so I don't know yet what all i have to press to get the script to execute. But I will play with it.

Viper
    Apologize for the necro post...but noticed no one had a solution for Viper and figured someone could use this information in the future. Normally, for windows that are too large for a screen display area, simply holding the ALT key and dragging the window up will work. I have to do this all the time on my netbook, since the display area is so small.

BTW, this script is literally the best thing since sliced bread. I mean it!
    Last edited by zukeprime; 05-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.

...and when holding the ALT key and dragging the window up won't work?

I'm having the same problem, the buttons hide at the bottom. Also, since you cannot resize the window, the other solutions do not apply. What can we do? Could RobA update the file?

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

So, I just found this because I'm making some new maps. Having the same window problem, I think it's related to 2.8.

Would love for Rob to revisit necropost and update the script to be more user friendly, but in the meantime, two solutions:

1. the only buttons missing are the execute buttons (as far as my system is concerned) and you can just commit the changes by pushing alt+O or Shift tab *twice* from the first entry.

2. You could turn your screen display sideways (ctrl+alt+right_arrow on windows) and see the whole window from there.

Great script man, thanks for the work on it, going to save me a ton of time.

The window size is a limit of script-fu - you can't do anything about it from the script - I'd have to port the whole thing over to python to change it at the moment.

There is a thread over at Gimp-Ghat where someone has recompiled to provide scrolling in script-fu dialogs:

Script-Fu Interface Scrolling Modification V1.0 Official Release ? GIMP Chat

YMMV-

-Rob A>

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

This is literally magic. I'm staring down the barrel of manually recreating the World's Largest Dungeon to run for a party on Roll20.net and Rob you are an actual angel.

Question

Rob - thanks for the great script. I have always loved fantasy maps, dungeons, etc. and loved combing through all the artwork in the D&D books as a kid. I am somewhat new to GIMP and digital design in general, but have been looking to get into creating fantasy maps and dungeons in my free time.

I found this forum and it seems like it is a great community for aspiring and veteran digital cartographers and map makers. Also, I will admit it took me roughly a day to get this finished product. I had several other attempts yesterday that didnt turn out very well - grids not lining up, the floor and walls were mixed up, sizing/spacing issues, etc - as I am still learning how to use GIMP, but I am happy with the results. I do have some questions though, and will try to phrase them in an understandable manner.

1. how do you get your wall edges to look rough like that, in your example dungeon picture? mine are pretty clean and smooth compared to yours.

2. also yours looks a little more beveled than mine - do i just change the stroke level or something?

3. i am still learning about image size, pixels per inch, grid sizing, grid spacing, etc., and how to get things to line up properly... any tips on how to understand or make sense of all that? like.. explain it like im 5?

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for this great script and all the contributions to the forum.

Here is my first attempt at making a very simple dungeon using your script. I am using GIMP v2.8.16 along with the grid script and dungeon make script.

I set my image to 900x900 px. with resolution of 100x100 ppi
    I went to Image->Grid and set spacing to 2x2
    I went to Image->Guides->Grid and set it to 50x50 spacing of guides(px) and checked border guides
    I went to Filters->Dungeon Map Maker and set the following:
    Grid Size = 50
    Template Color = Black (used selection tool for rooms/hallways and filled with black)
    Template Color Identifies = Floors
    Fill Floor With = Rendered Noise
    Grid Color = Black
    Fill Walls With = Rendered Noise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test-dungeon1.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	918.2 KB 
ID:	83539
    Last edited by aerduin; 05-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast