Thread: *** July 2014 Challenge: Map a Barbarian Invasion ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** July 2014 Challenge: Map a Barbarian Invasion ***

Hey there, everyone, and welcome to the July Challenge. Your mission this time around is to map a barbarian invasion! This could be an actual historical invasion, like the Huns or the Mongols; you could map an invasion from a novel or movie; or something you've made up on the spot.

The genre doesn't matter - feel free to stay with a traditional barbarian invasion (is there such a thing? ), or let your imagination roam and map out the route of an intergalactic barbarian horde ravaging a star republic.

Nor does the subject and presentation matter - the only stipulation is that your map has to feature a barbarian invasion in some way. This could take the form of mapping the actual invasion route and major battles, or you could show the aftermath of the invasion and effects of it on the surrounding lands. Or both, or neither. The choice is up to you.

As an extra special prize, for this Challenge not only will the winner receive a shiny Golden Compass, he or she will ALSO receive a $20 US gift certificate for Amazon.com, donated by yours truly.
    *** Note: If I win the challenge, the gift certificate will go to the runner-up. The winner keeps the Compass. In the event of a tie between myself and someone else, both would receive the Compass, and the other party would get the certificate. ***

(Not that I expect to win, what with the increasing level of artistry around here...)

As usual, please make sure to title your threads: July 2014 Challenge: <your title here>

Also, don't forget to precede each work in progress picture with the label: ### Lates WIP ### This way the thumbnail scraper can find your entry and all the voters will be able to see it at the end of the month.

This challenge will end on or around the 31st of July, after which there will be a THREE day voting period.

Good luck, everyone!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Let see if I can coin that

I am in.

And... comeon D. you have 6 shiny compass (plural?) there, dont be humble.
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 07-05-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Actually it only shows the first six. He actually has four gold and three silvers. But who is counting !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

I'm pretty excited about this challenge. I don't think I'll be able to join in, but I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work.

I've just started watching the Attack on Titan anime and it's definitely inspiring for a strange sort of barbarian invasion. If anyone is looking for ideas, I recommend checking it out. Or even if you just want to enjoy the story.

cheers,
    Meshon

I suppose the great historical invasion might work: foreigners land on our shores and set up their strange and terrible machines. The bring diseases that ravage our population, leaving us weak in the face of their incursions. Despite a few desperate battles on our part, the slowly force us back onto "reservations" and try to stamp out the last vestiges of our culture by shipping our young off to concentration camps, err - schools, where horrific punishments await those who try to remember who they were... At least the terrain part will be easy!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

It could be just an invasion of people who talk funny. The way the ancient Greeks thought all those foreigners sounded like they were saying "bahr bar barr" all the time.

Another idea would be Reaver invasion from firefly. now if only I had the skill to make a space invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengeil View Post
    Another idea would be Reaver invasion from firefly. now if only I had the skill to make a space invasion.
    Good one!!!

Just a reminder that this month's contest is set to end in a couple of days. Due to work commitments, I won't be able to get the time to close it out Thursday, so everyone will get an extra day or so. Contest will end Friday evening.