Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Continent Of Skahria

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Default Continent Of Skahria

Hi folks,

it's me again with yet another WIP.

After long debates with myself and many attempts at a new layout for my world, I have decided to at least reuse/stick with one continent from the original map. Oh, and apologies to everyone who would like to see where my Clann-Llocc map will end up, but at the moment I need to think about the layout for the whole world. I might jump back to it soon, though, I never know where my fancies take me to when I try and start writing!

Anyway, after some practice the style I have settled for will lean a lot towards Max's work. I have two versions of mountains and I'm not really sure which one to take.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	65506

I like this one better for the moment because I feel there is possibly more detail to it.

Name:	B.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	65507

On the other hand, this version gets the massiveness of the mountainrange across better, plus it's less work! (also, I did a better job on the shading here, I think)

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
    Llannagh

I like the second version better, but maybe that's just me.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the first one much better, but I totally hear you about lessening the work load!

By Llannagh
    Oh, and apologies to everyone who would like to see where my Clann-Llocc map will end up, but at the moment I need to think about the layout for the whole world.
    I would be glad to see your Clann-Llocc map finished, but you're excused with this new map . The two mountains are good, but I think I prefer the barrier feeling of the second one.

Cheers guys!

For today I continued with the first variant (the one with the most workload, since I want to handdraw each mountain, silly as it is). I like the way it creates valleys, which I find inspiring. On the other hand I agree with Ilanthar about the barrier feeling. Maybe I'll combine the two and break down the barrier a little and add individual mountains around that.

But not tonight, because for today I unlocked the following achievement: tendonitis from drawing too many mountains!

So here's what I got done today:

Name:	Skahria-2_0.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	65530

It's the whole continent.

And, btw., this is going to be the style for the "political" map for Clann-Llocc.

Good night everyone!

Here's a combination of the two versions. I like that one a lot, although in this pic the mountains might be a little too big.
    There's also a little forest preview!

Name:	Skahria-2_0-3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	65598

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's really great! I love the look of the lower part of the range; you really get a sense of depth and sweeping valleys filled with shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's really great! I love the look of the lower part of the range; you really get a sense of depth and sweeping valleys filled with shadow...
    Thanks very much! That valley feeling was what convinced me to use individual mountains aswell. So much for lessening the workload though...
    I did put more effort into the lower part. It's also because I get more practice with each mountain.

I modified the existing mountains (scaled them down), deleted some and added a few new ones. I get the feeling I messed up the perspective somewhere. Did I?

Name:	Range.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	65615

It might be a bit hard to see, because I haven't done the shading yet. That's to follow tonight, maybe.

Cheers so far,
    Llannagh

You're doing a remarkable job with your mountains! Even without the shadings, it's working

Thanks for all the praise! Means a lot!

So I take it that the perspective isn't messed up, at least not too much?

Here's a little more, I extended the mountainrange without shading. I guess I'm going to do that for a few more ranges.

Name:	Range-2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	65633

I won't be able to do a lot more until next week, but I plan on getting back to this as soon as I can.

Cheers,
    Llannagh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast