Thread: $400 - Need talented cartographer for fantasy novel map

Default $400 - Need talented cartographer for fantasy novel map

Cliff Notes
    Hobby novelist attempts fantasy novel. Desperately seeks talented cartographer to turn his rough draft into a respectable and realistic map.

Map Details
    See attached image “Rough Draft”.
    Rough draft has been stripped of all names and descriptions. Full descriptive version will be provided to selected partner cartographer. Map consists of three land masses.

Land Mass 1 - Main focus of project and featured location of the novel. Section 1 would be a small continent with the area labeled 2 implied to continue north. Good example would be section 1 is roughly the size of America and section 2 (everything above the red line) would be the size of Canada but only a small portion visible on the map.
    Land Mass 3 & 4 – Implied to be massive continent’s (think Europe and Asia combined) though only a portion is visible on the map. Very little detail however Cartographer has creative license to give it a little life: mountains, rivers, woods etc.

Style
    See attached image “Professional Example”.
    This is an excellent of example of my preferred style. My map will require a few natural elements missing in this map (snowcapped peaks, swamp land etc.) but the style and look are the exact amount of realism I’m looking for. Don’t want it to look like a painting or a photo. Something right in the middle which I believe this represents well.

Quality & Size
    JPEG, TIFF, EPS or PSD – 300 DPI
    Original purpose is to accompany my novel for submission but I would like the ability to print out a larger version.

Future Edits - One issue which I’ll need to resolve with the selected partner cartographer is the ability to edit the finished product. I am in the third (and final) stage of edits but never know if I’ll need to change a town name or move a mountain. If designed in Photoshop I would prefer the PSD file.

Time Constraints
    I would love to have the finished map for final draft inspiration but I understand your talents are in demand. I would like to have it finished within a few weeks but can extend that timeline for the right talent.

Copyright
    As a first time novelist, statistics are not in my little books favor. However on the off chance we actually find a publisher and god willing print a few copies, I would like to own all areas of my story I have spent the last 5 years on.
    • I would like reproduction rights to the map
    • I would like copyright of the map
    • I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes
    • I will need a working file to make future edits, additions or subtractions
    • The artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his or her portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain
    • The artist name will always be included on the map. I would never deny an artist his or her due credit
    NOTE: Working file would only be used to edit/expand existing map. It will never be used to make other maps.

Payment
    $400.00 - $100 immediately to start the project - $300 more on completion. Payment through PayPal or cartographers preference.
    Payment Includes – working file for future edits and all Copyright contingences listed above

Contact Details
    Email Address: RedTitans99@gmail.com

Final Thoughts
    I appreciate your time and consideration for this project. This world has been something I’ve built in my head for half a decade. It will be overwhelming to see it fleshed out by a professional. Besides looking for a talented map maker, I need some guidance. Someone who’s not afraid to add a few islands, or correct the flow of a river based on your years of map building experience. If the greats have taught me anything it’s that even the most epic of novels can have the most ridiculous maps with geography built for convenience. Three words – Mordors Square Mountains

Look forward to hearing from you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rough Draft.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	65512   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Professional Example.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	65513  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hi there, welcome to the guild. My two cents on your request : large print version, editable .psd file, commercial rights and copyright? What you're willing to pay is way insufficient for what you're looking for.

Max, Thanks for the quick reply and advice. I am a fan of your work. Budget is flexible depending on the give and take. I could scale back the copyright restrictions to stay in a reasonable budget. I'm not getting rich of this map, just need a professional piece to pair with my story. This is my first map so guidance on the standard, fair for both parties copyright issues would be appreciated.

My main concern is the ability to make small changes in the future (name changes etc.). What is the standard practice for those situations? Artist charges $X per change and sends new flattened file?

Size is also not a priority and again I would appreciate your advice on the standard size you would create for this type of project.

Thanks for the reply.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since I only express a personnal opinion here, I would recommend to join me at maximeplasse@yahoo.fr to discuss about it

Commission has been taken. Thanks everyone for the submissions.