Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July 2014 Lite Challenge: Ha-Stee

Guild Journeyer

Post June/July 2014 Lite Challenge: Ha-Stee

I am back from vacation a whole day early, but still have the day off , so I guess I will put it to good use and see if I can crank out a whole challenge in 1-2 days. It has been a while since my last, and I am feeling ambitious, so I will try to pay homage to some of the great challenges that I have missed so far this year, like:

May 2014 - Map like a Monster
    March/April 2014 - Map a Gov. Building
    February 2014 - Map the Guild
    January/February 2014 - Circle, Triangle, Square

And I am thinking of doing this all in the style of my first challenge entry, http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...arsh-king.html.

The map takes place in a fantasy setting. The map is being drawn by a historian recording the 9 Greatest Mysteries, and each Mystery will get its own set of maps/illustrations. This mystery will be about the Fabled never-ending hallways of Ha-Stee, where a tribe of barbarous monsters believe one goes after death. After making it out of the Halls of Ha-Stee they then proceed to Heaven/Hell/Other Afterlife Option. What we are hopefully going to see is our intrepid historian trying to make a connection between a ruined sword with an engraved diagram of Ha-Stee, and the ruins of a nearby old Cartographic Guild that he believes is the basis for the Myths of Ha-Stee.

I will work on the Guild first, which our historian will call the Ancient Ruins near Yokkah, since he will not know that it once served as a Headquarters for a Great and Mighty Guild of Cartography. And I will make the ruins out of circles only (to start at least).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circle1.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	65540

P.S. - Off to an awkward start already! Previewing this post it looks kind of like a Cubist Mickey Mouse...

Guild Journeyer

Wip Circle meets...Circle

Since I forgot the WIP tags in the first post, here is a little more progress tonight.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	circle1-3.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	65541

Welcome to the challenge RedKettle, glad to have a new challenger for this month! Your building has already a very nice shape

Guild Journeyer

Wip Straight to the Point

Thanks Francissimo, although compared to the other entries I will probably not present much of a challenge.

I thought I would have all day to work on this, but that did not happen. Just a small update for now showing roughly how the sword will look.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	circle1-4.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	65589

I like the shapes, it's very clockwork-like with a hint of mysteries.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Oh wow, off to a great start and thanks for jumping in, it's never too late!
    Well, I guess at some point it will be too late, but that's not happened yet.

The architecture is pretty epic, I look forward to seeing more!

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Journeyer

Wip Circle meets...Inkblot?

Thanks Meshon and Ilanthar.

I am not sure if the clock-work feeling will make it to the end. I thought the ruins needed a little more complexity, so I added a few circles...resulting in an inkblot test. I wanted to add more but stopped after I had found an elephant, urn, giraffe, monkey, dinosaur bone, and roller coaster rider. At that point I found myself doing more staring than drawing.

Name:	circle1-5c.gif 
Views:	89 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	65612

Guild Journeyer

Wip Fast and Furious Fingers

I did a little diagramming over the weekend but not as much as hoped. The rooms are all labeled '1' because I was going to go back and give them each their own number, but it does not look like I will have time during the challenge. I was also planning on diagramming out the room relationship, since an abstract version will appear on the sword, but there may not be time for me to do the whole building either. Let us see how far I can get in the next few hours.

I will have to ruin-ify the building, finish the diagram on the sword, figure out my text and work on the border elements in order for this to be complete(-ish).

Name:	circle1-6c.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	486.9 KB 
ID:	65734

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Good luck, I hope you get this finished!

Guild Journeyer

Wip Pencils Down!

Thanks for the encouragement Meshon.

This is as far as I will get. There is a lot of extra space due to the lack of diagram and the borders could use some work, but that will have to wait until the inevitable WIP thread...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	circle1-7c.gif 
Views:	102 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	65751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast