Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A chart of Central Orbani, Adjacent Isles, and the Northern part of the Wilds

Default A chart of Central Orbani, Adjacent Isles, and the Northern part of the Wilds

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spindrift-final-map.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	65557

Hi everyone,

I've been working on the fantasy webcomic Spindrift for about 3 years now, and one of my favorite aspects of this project is all the worldbuilding it requires. I soon realized that I would need a map to keep the story grounded, and to get a feel for distances when characters travel - but also because some of the geography is relevant for the plot and the backstories of some of the characters. This means that a lot of the locations on the map have their own histories and flavor.

Everything on the map was made in Photoshop, apart from the paper texture, which is a combination of a handmade paper and a sheet of copy paper stained with a variety of household products (tea, coffee, wine and salt, if you must know.) which I both scanned.

I'll also post a thread with my process, although I joined the forums after this map was made so it's to late to make changes based on feedback. Suggestions for the future are always useful of course and perhaps some might find it interesting to see the older versions and sketches (I'll edit the link in once it's up).

I also have to credit my co-writer Charlotte E. English and several friends, for helping me pick names for some of the towns and areas <3.

For those interested in the webcomic, it's up for reading here: - Spindrift -

I hope you guys like it .

edit: Here's the thread with the process: http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...tml#post248492
    Last edited by Municorn; 07-07-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: adding wip thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A nice map, the colors are pleasant Though I would prefer some curve labels along paths instead of curved effect labels, which distords fonts badly. Also A bit of color on the title frame design would have made it more consistent with the other elements of the map.

Thank you!
    Aboute the types: I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. All the curved labels where made using paths, none using the type effect.
    Perhaps you are talking about the Labels for the mountain ranges, which are italic?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Ah yes so it's probably the italic that made it look like this indeed.

Must say, one of the better maps I have seen in some time. I find that with it you have really grasped the term less is more. It's not cluttered with details, and yet gives a vast impression. Impressive, work indeed. On a bigger note, something that I really like about your style and I saw in your comic as well, is how you mix bold linework with more fader, lighter detailing. It's a very appealing style, that is easy for the eye, and yet gives a good sense of depth. Hope to see more like this in the future!

Cheers.

Very nice map , did you draw by hand the Coat of arms on lower left corner?

Very good map! I love some of the drawings (giant trees, cartouche) and the colors are very pleasant.

Great map, amazing cartouche; since you coloured every element of the map (compass rose included and with plentiful of colours) I think you should have coloured the cartouche too (a map consistency matter or my personal tastes, maybe). Anyway, I am sincerely stunned, awesome work.

I like this very much. The color balance is supreme and the shape of the landmass is 100% lifelike. It looks like a 18th century artistic map - something a wealthy merchant would have as decoration in his study.

Thanks all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast