Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July 2014 Lite Challenge: < The fall of the city Warratrixta >

Default June/July 2014 Lite Challenge: < The fall of the city Warratrixta >

I know this is a late entry but I had an idea that I wanted to do for this challenge. I wasn't sure if I would get my map done in time. This is a crazy busy month for me so I didn't want to post a WIP thread and then not be able to get half way done with my map. I got to the point in this map that I thought I could start posting it and not feel totally ashamed if I didn't get to finish it all the way.
    This is also my very first city/Town map.

The people of Warratrixta thought that they were safe from the horde of giants that lived to the far reaches of the east. Their small trading city prospered and the people were happy. They heard tales of the monsters from travelers looking to flee as far as possible from the horrors that they had witnessed. The business men and woman laughed at their stories, listening better to the weight in their pockets. On a day when the sky was laded with clouds and the earth shook, their luck had run out and the people threw out the gold in their pockets so they could but run a little faster.

I still have a lot to do, most of which is on the ruin part of the map. I hope I can finish it!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both_top_bottom.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	65583

Cool idea! Thanks for joining in!

Either the town of Waratrixia is Lilliputian or the giant is beyond enormous. If those are human size dwellings, I estimate that footprint at 550 ft long. An average man is 7 times taller than the length of his foot, at the same ratio this giant is about 3,800 ft tall or almost 3/4 of a mile from head to toe, and the next footprint will be about a quarter of a mile away.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hooray! Thanks for joining this one!

Bogie, you know a suspicious amount about giants...

cheers,
    Meshon

I think Bogie might just be better at math than I am. I really do wan't the giant to be huge but I think it might be a good idea to make the footprint a bit smaller. The earthquakes cased a lot of damage to the city as well anyway. I do want a larger than life kind of feel to the footprint though so it will still be very big!

That's a cool idea! A giant step for mapping
    I like your buildings and I think your roads are too blurry in comparison.

Thanks Ilanthar, I wasn't sure about the roads but I will sharpen them up a bit.

As for a little update.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	both_top_bottom2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	65638

I'm fairly certain that this is just a layer placement error, but it seems that new and (IMO) improved roads have been placed over the background. Also, the gradient between the lighter and darker maps (nice touch, btw) looks a little too high; it seems to be bleeding into the top map a little too much. The new footprint seems to be an improvement over the last, although I can't help but to think that a pair of prints might serve you better (although you would lose the sense of awe that comes from seeing an entire city crushed by a single footprint). If you were to just rotate the footprint a little bit clockwise, and shift it so that one was placed over the western "lobe" of the city, with the heel in the river (therefore retaining the nice flooding you have currently) and the outer edge crushing the city wall, you could place the other to sit squarely atop the Counsel Hall--which, if I am not mistaken (a likely scenario), is an inaccurate re-spelling of "Council."

Jkat even thought I really do like the idea of the pair of foot prints I simply don't have time to do that. Honestly I am very proud that I was able to do so much on this map with how busy I have been this month. I did fix the gradient and thanks for the spell check

I don't know if I will be able to add a few more finishing touches before tonight but even if I can't I'm still really happy with this map. Thanks to everyone who helped me out or just gave me encouragement during this challenge!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	warratrixta1finished.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	65720

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Great work, I really love the way that you've used all the map elements to show the bright before and the doomed after! And your borders, just awesome. Nice work, and fast!

cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks Meshon! I'm glade you like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast