Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The World of Karth - WIP

Wip The World of Karth - WIP

Been a while since I could work on this. It's nice to return to this and work on it. There's a lot of area to cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inprogress.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	65593

Looks nice! Looking forward to seeing this world come to life. Somehow i think novel or rpg when i see this map ^^
    For me, the contrast between the broadleaf trees and the conifers is a bit strong. Somehow the conifers seem to stand out much more.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I'm fine with that, as that's what I wanted.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You're a madman! That looks like an immense amount of work, but if it all looks as good as what you've posted, it will be a delicious map. Lovely mountains. While that bright red wouldn't have been my first choice for the icons, they actually look quite nice.

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Man, every now and then I drop back into the forum and it seems like every time I do you're still plugging away at this Looking fantastic mate.

Quote Originally Posted by madbird-valiant View Post
    Man, every now and then I drop back into the forum and it seems like every time I do you're still plugging away at this Looking fantastic mate.
    I had to take a long break from working on it.

I also have experimented with lots and lots of different options before deciding and then moving forward. At one point there was green. I considered just using symbols like circles and squares to show locations. Then more detailed drawing of buildings. There were lots and lots of options being put forth.

Normally I draw all the trees by hand, but this is way to much space to cover. So in the program Painter, I created a nozzle that allows me to draw a whole bunch of different trees, and then "draw" the trees in. And I can set it so that there is some size variance. Otherwise it would take forever with this level of detail. And if I need, I can also put one tree in a spot. I actually have two nozzles, one with groups of trees, and one with single trees.

I choose red because I wanted it to stand out, as if someone used red ink.

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    I'm fine with that, as that's what I wanted.
    Care to elaborate why you wanted the conifers to pop so much more?
    Oh and is there world-history/background you'd be willing to share? I'm always a sucker for background infos on fantasy worlds
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept

Beautiful style.

I love it! The mountains are very pretty, and you've a nice handle on labeling. I think red is good for the icons - some of them are quite small and the color stands them out from the wilderness.
    There is a bit much difference between the tree types... at least to my eye. I do like the darkness of the conifers though, and you could maybe use some more green in the map to go with the red inked labels and icons, so I'd like to suggest trying a broad, green or greenish ink wash to strengthen the presence of the leaf forests on the page. Somewhat like the old, hand-colored maps that don't always stay inside the lines. Or it may not be what you're going for.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

And another map to swoon over (for?).
    Great mountains, VERY nice continental shape and I like the icons. The different trees are a matter of taste, I guess. The only thing I'm not a hundred percent about are the coastlines. I think the broad, double lines clash with the detailed geography.

Anyway, fantastic stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast