Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental Map - A Test to my Abilities

Alright everyone, I'm having lots of trouble ATM.
    I have absolutely no idea which style I should use. I was thinking about Sat-view, but I have no experience on it. I was hoping I could get some tips on how to achieve a look like this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...nal_clouds.jpg
    Also I'm unsure on how to proceed with labeling. I've had problems with labeling in my other maps, especially regarding the markers. Should I go with elaborate or simple(if I do end up going with the sat-view)

EDIT 4:
    Tried a political style map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uwotm8.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	65652

The North looks like that due to the fact that a boundary was established in some treaty. The red nations are foreign-ish nations, like egiptian influenced and african influence, and they don't follow Western rules. The green nations are all under one big empire. The Yellow nations are lawless pirate lands. The Purple Nation is the invading force that is trying to conquer the blue. The blue nation is the greatest nation of all, completely isolated, said to be the birthplace of the gods, It's sealed off to prevent the "impure ones" (all the other races and animals) from getting in. They are currently being invaded from the East.
    Last edited by Azhel; 07-10-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Looks like you are doing it all at once... Tectonics, satellite view, polical/atlas maps... If you pull it off, it will be awesome.

Some non-tectonic solutions might appear as shown below (the left one is based on the full multi-level heightmap that you posted first and the second one is just a land/sea mask and mountains mask colored with Wilbur's V2 shader). Search for "CSU Johnsondale" here at the guild for the tutorial for those kinds of landscape processing. The apparent feature scale is likely a bit off, but I didn't have a good scale to work with and wasn't sure about the projection.

Name:	test1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	65687 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	742.7 KB 
ID:	65690
    Last edited by waldronate; 07-12-2014 at 04:13 PM.

@Pixie - I'l try my best

@waldronate - Thank you so much for the render and the info, it's much appreciated. I was trying to copy and paste real world heightmap "bits" here and there but it was very time consuming and the result was less-than-satisfying.

EDIT 5:
    Been trying out Wilbur's erosion. Been failing and not getting what I'm looking for...

Name:	penile implant mother****er.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	352.2 KB 
ID:	65873

What are you looking for?

I think he isn't happy with the lack of lowlands.. but it's my guess

Yeah, i'm counting too many "rivers"? I think, because some parts of the terrain are flatter than others, some parts have more rivers than others. (EG: the Bottom Right Continent is mostly a desert, so I'm guessing not too many rivers there.
    Also Wilbur kinda made some small islands disappear. I'm guessing that's normal but if there's anyway to prevent that it'd be great. I'l try to make a map with coloured parts symbolizing the type of terrain.

From a previous post of Waldronate and my huge load of questions on FT I think that if you paint more dry area in the Fractal terrain , it will have less precitiptaion and so less rivers in the areas .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast