Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom desktop icons

Post Custom desktop icons

Okay, now that I am no longer retired, which has doubled my income, I am planning on buying laptops for the FHCO's.
    So I would like to make them as FHCO freindly as possible by grouping the short cuts on the desktop into things like Art, Modeling, Games, and Internet and then drop the shortcuts to the apps in those folders,,,but I would like to use something besides XP's default folder icon, something graphical for the younger ones who don't read yet but recognize image icons.
    Is it possible to create custom icons for folders and if so how would I do it.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

From the Microsoft site:
    It's shockingly easy to create your own icons in Windows XP. Let's do it: Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Paint. On the Image menu, click Attributes. Type 32 for both the Width and Height of the document, and make sure that Pixels is selected under Units. Click OK to create a new 32x32-pixel document: the size of an icon.

Now add type, color, or do whatever you'd like to your image. I like to shrink photos (headshots work best) to 32x32 and simply paste them into my Paint document. When you're finished, open the File menu and click Save As. Use the dialog box to choose where you want to save your file, then give it a name followed by ".ico" (without the quotes), and click Save. (The extension ".ico" tells Windows that it's an icon file.) You just created an icon! Now you can change any shortcut or folder to your own icon—just browse to it on your hard drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5xptricks_img5.gif 
Views:	546 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	6043  
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

You change the icon from the properties menu for the folder (right-clik and properties) and the Customize tab on that properties page. Custom icons can be made as above.

If you want to do it in PhotoShop, try this link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx

That gives you enough info that you should be able to translate to other software as well.
    Last edited by RPMiller; 08-19-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Wrong link posted.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could also try using a graphical-interactive interface desktop with clocks and weather and all sorts of things like that. You just dump the icons into a roll-up folder on the desktop and most of em already have presets for Photoshop, WinAmp, Firefox, and things like that. I used to use one like this and there are tons of similar things over at Stardock dot com. The other cool thing is that, if you have the patience and time you can edit everything and make your own skins and icons as mentioned above.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess this would be a good time to plug my windowblinds skin hehehe...I made a windowblinds skin back in the day....its for XP though...and it may not be fully updated for the current windowblinds version, but it will work I'm sure.

http://evilarcana.deviantart.com/art...ple-WB-3436657

Enjoy if you decide to use stardocks windowblinds.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Wow, thanks everyone, that really helps. Now comes the fun part of actually making them with the fhco's, though they won't know why we are making such small pics until they get their laptops.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

If you've not already bought the laptops, and you're fairly computer literate, you may want to have a look at the Asus EEEPC range. The prices start at as little as £170 in the UK (4Gb solid state storage version). The machine uses a Linux Operating System, which you can get GIMP for (among others). It comes with Wireless Internet, and OpenOffice as standard. It's small (7" screen) and light (1kg) and very cute. You can even get it in blue or pink!

If you wait a little while, they've just released a 10" screen Windows XP version in Europe. I'd imagine it'll arrive in the US soon, if not already around.

Last edited by Valarian; 08-20-2008 at 07:23 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

How interesting. Look at what the current deal is over at Tanga:

http://web.tanga.com/deals/current

Asus Eee PC in Black

Celeron M 800MHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 2GB Hard Drive SSD, 7'' LCD & Linux OS

$259.99 + $6.99 Shipping

Description
    Affordable and Portable!
    Share photos of your travels without waiting until you get home. Shop the world wide web without attaching any lines or wires. Learn through the latest technology without a technical manual. Play, relax, and entertain on the go with shock-proof design. Connect with friends and family with just a few clicks.
    This Asus Eee PC 2G Surf 700 notebook is an ideal starter laptop for any family on a budget in an ultra-portable and lightweight design. With a 2 GB capacity dependable solid-state disk, you get unparalleled shock-protection and reliability. The Intel Celeron M 800 MHz processor and 512 MB of RAM give you enough power to handle any workload. The installed operating system is an Asus customized version of Linux, making this one of the most user-friendly notebooks on the market.
    With the integrated 10/100 Ethernet or 802.11b/g Wireless LAN, connecting to the Internet is simple and convenient. The Eee PC features a wide array of software programs to help keep you on track. With the built-in memory card reader you can easily upload your photos, videos, music and data files without waiting until you get home.
    View brilliant images and text on the 7-inch screen, enjoy crystal clear sound with the two (2) built-in speakers. This Eee PC features three (3) USB 2.0 ports making it easy to connect to numerous external devices such as a CD/DVD drive, printer, etc.
    The Asus Eee PC 2G Surf 700 makes a great addition to the family as an introductory laptop, an extra durable notebook for the kids, or travel companion for easy uploading of documents, photos and videos to the internet.
    Package Includes:

• Asus Eee PC 2G Surf 700 Celeron M 800 MHz 7-inch Notebook
    • Power Adapter (100-240V 50/60 Hz)
    • Li-ion Battery
    • Soft Carry Case
    • User Guide
    • Quick Start Guide

This product is refurbished.

Ouch ... that's just the 2Gb Surf version AND it's a refurbished model.
    Finally, something that's cheaper in Europe than in the US ... even: cheaper in the UK than the US. Now that really is a rarity.

I'd go for at least the 4Gb SSD version (701). This is the one I've got and it's a pretty good little machine for carrying around. I'd wouldn't go for either the 4Gb Surf and 2Gb Surf versions.

[EDIT]
    Just comparing the prices ... $259.99 is around £138.68 on an exchange rate conversion. Doing a quick search of the UK sites ...
    Equivalent spec machine (NEW): http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php?xP...8d8d6ffd7c7134
    Minimum spec I'd recommend: http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php?xP...8d8d6ffd7c7134
    Last edited by Valarian; 08-21-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast