Thread: Highlands of Ezim

Wip Highlands of Ezim

Here a map I worked on last week.
    I made this map first to test the style before I begin on the 'real' work (a world map in a style like this).
    But before I begin on that project I want some advice on the road.

First, I doubt about how to place the names on the map.
    Shall I put all the names of the locations on the map ? Names of the Mountians, roads, the water...
    And would it be nice to set numbers on the map and than a overview just like the cities, or just put the full name on the map itself?
    The second question is, what do you think of the water? More blue, or just leave it this way?
    Last question, what is the best way to upload a map on this forum? Can't find a Post about it (I perhaps overlooked it?). I have upload the map as 300dpi, 80% size jpg. Is this the right way?

If you have tips or it feels that something is missing, please say !

Here the map (without the names of the locations yet)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Highlands of Ezim WIP.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	67078
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ezim Highlands WIP.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	67077  
    Last edited by Dialan; 09-03-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Hey Dialan

In terms of what labels you might add to your map, it all depends on the purpose of the map. A political map, for example, will show state and nation borders, as well as large cities and capitals. Major roads are optional. A climate map will show the climates as well as things like precipitation, trade winds, or ocean currents, though just climates are the standard. If it's an economic map, it's going to have resources shown, either by colour-coded icons, or by images of the resource itself. Physical maps generally only show the land in terms of water and elevation (avoiding political markers or any fauna, except maybe in greenness to indicate lushness).

So, long answer short, it depends on the purpose of the map.

Since you haven't described the purpose of the map, except that it makes your practice for a larger world map, I'll suggest going with something a bit more advanced. The style you have right now works fine in terms of, say, a board game, or a simple RPG setting, but if you want to make something larger and want to make it a full-on learning experience, you might want to delve into learning about techtonics, pressure systems, trade winds, ocean currents, biomes/climates, fauna/flora, and how civilisations work. And if you want to make a world map, make sure your water is a distinctly different colour from your landmasses.

Good luck!

Thanks for you clear answer.
    You have a good point there, I will make a more political map, so I will make borders in it.
    The names direct in the map will be the best than.
    I will upload the result later this week.
    Thanks

Here the map with some tekst in it :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South Highlands with names.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	67495
    Last edited by Dialan; 09-19-2014 at 12:38 PM.