Thread: map for interactive fiction 'The Dragonkins Inheritance'

Default map for interactive fiction 'The Dragonkins Inheritance'

Subject = I just took my inform7 text adventure called 'The Dragonkins Inheritance' to a state where it is ready for beta testing. It is of the Science Fantasy Exploration Genre and i would love to add a fantasy map of the small fictive regional area where the game takes place; the area includes a wood, a crevice, a mountain range, a lake and a meadow and a castle, all with names and regional characteristics, so it should not be a geographical/symbolical map like in an Atlas but more like a painted/drawn one

The game is based on a story I wrote as a teenager in 1985; I drew a map then, which contains all info in a simplicistic way, but as I am not good at drawing I cannot use it for a publication but I will give a copy to someone who would like to do the map.

Quality & Size = I would like it to be at least as good as the game. ;-) Maybe the standard 1080p would do fine.

Basically its just a small map for an amateur game, but that should not mean it has to be ugly.

Time Constraints = I would like to take part in the 2015 IF Comp Competition for Interactive Fiction, so there is no rush.

Copyright = I am not sure what is the usual way to do this, but the copyright should be of course with the Artist. I just would like the allowance to always keep it in a package with the game.

Commission= unpaid (if I ever get a single cent for the game I will give a piece of it to you)

ok, as i did not get any answer, i have to ask: is it just the [probably unpaid] status, that is completely uninteresting, or do i have to add additional information. i did not hope you would draw me a fantasy quadrilogy map with kingdoms and continents, it's just as i've mentioned: a few names, a mountain range, a castle, a lake, a wood, a bridge that's about it, and i've already drawn it, so there wouldn't be even much to research...

lg, stefan

As someone here already said, getting someone to work on your map is like a lottery. Other people are seeking artists paid and unpaid. And here in the Guild, not all members do commissions. It might take some time before you find an interested cartographer.

1920 pixels by 1080 pixels is the size of the map ? (it's not very big by the way)
    what is the resolution in DPI ?

Along with Azwlor's suggestions, it might help if you posted the picture you've already drawn so people can get a better idea of your project and what they'll have to work off of.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

sorry for my late answer, i was off a week. i will look for my map i draw in 1985 and post it if it is at all publishable without great embarrassment ;-) . I am not sure, as i did not take a look at it for over 15 years. and: i am not sure if the dpi is relevant here. usually maps are in a package together with the game as a jpg, which usually has a standard screen resolution, which at the moment is as i believe 1980x1020?

thank you for your answers and lg, stefan

yes, it is the most common screen resolution right now:

Steam Hardware & Software Survey