Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Extreme Planetary Features vs realism

Banned User

Everything xpian said, I second. Trollface, you really need to do some reading on scientific websites about some of your ideas. They really make little sense.

Xpian, the idea of the Earth's orbit destabilizing without the Moon is a misunderstanding of the correct idea that the axial tilt of the Earth would likely be more variable (NOT the orbit), without the stabilizing gravity of the Moon. The Earth's orbit is not significantly affected by the presence of the Moon, since the Moon is in the same solar orbit as the Earth.

There is a possible way a planet can host earthly life in the cold zone of a star system..... A gas giants moon if close enough to its parent planet can give off geothermal heat in the atmosphere via volcanic activity but the thing is it has to contain ice in the first place for it to work. not all life depends on sunlight to live deep oceans geothermal vents proved that. just imagin humanoids that use nocturnal vision to see walking in a dark Chemosynthetic forest. the area filled with hydrothermal oceans and geothermal hot spots. the normally toxic chemicals wouldnt be a problem because of the chemosynthesis the strange plants use. it would be very very dark like an eternal night so humans would need nightvision goggles. But it is indeed possible that such a place exists.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

"Xpian, the idea of the Earth's orbit destabilizing without the Moon is a misunderstanding of the correct idea that the axial tilt of the Earth would likely be more variable (NOT the orbit), without the stabilizing gravity of the Moon."

Ah, yes. Now I see what he was going for. I have heard that idea as well.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Thanks for the correction.... i need to update my knolege.... turns out my info was incorrect i thought the moon was vital to earths survival but i guess i was informed wrong.

however i do have a question..... can a city planet like coruscant even exist? or would you need to keep some natural environment in a few places so the place doesnt kill itself?

If the technology is advanced enough, they might not need the natural ecosystem. Everything the nature does could be made by man or machine but at a great cost.
    That depends what you mean by killing itself.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567