Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achieving a Stripe Effect?

Question Achieving a Stripe Effect?

I'm trying to reproduce a striped effect, similar to the one seen on the roofs in this map. I've been experimenting with patterns, but all the resulting stripes are too wide for my taste. Is there an obvious way to do this (in GIMP) that I'm overlooking?

Banned User

Those buildings are tiny, and the stripes are much tinier. To get them so clear probably required a very very high resolution. What resolution are you using for your map?

It looks like a 1px wide line pattern set to a low opacity.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    What resolution are you using for your map?
    1600x1200 pixels. Not enough?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Zaianya View Post
    1600x1200 pixels. Not enough?
    That's the map dimensions, what is the resolution? How many pixels/inch?

D'oh. 72*72 according to GIMP.

Banned User

Try raising that to 600 and see if that helps If 600 is too much for your computer, try as big as you can manage.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like a 1x6 or 1x7 black and white pattern set to multiply - 1 black pixel and 6 white pixels. Make a new document 1 pixel high by say 7 pixels wide. Paint it white and then put 1 pixel of black on there then save it as a pattern. It comes in handy if you make up a bunch of these in advance. A 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 1x5 and so on. Then turn them sideways and save them so that you can have horizontal stripes. Turn them 45 degrees for a diagonal and then 180 for diagonal the other way. Lastly, those lines look very fine so my guess is that the image was drawn at twice the size of the final and then scaled down.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Setting the dpi higher will not do anything. The only time you'll see a difference by adjusting that resolution is when you print. (Okay, almost the only time. Some programs have an "actual size" button, but its usefulness is dubious unless the program also knows the physical dimensions of your screen.)

Ascension's got it. However, turning a 1 pixel line on an angle probably won't work out so well because the anti-aliasing will just turn it into a hazy blur.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thank you, thank you! As always, everybody's been tremendously helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast