Thread: The Western Lands of Lormendier (Commission)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Map The Western Lands of Lormendier (Commission)

Well, unfortunately I haven't managed to get on the Guild much recently for one reason or another (or if I did, not properly) which has been a real shame. Nonetheless, I finished my first commission piece the other day. It took a while, was one massive learning experience, and while there are some aspects that could have gone better, there were also some that turned out better that expected.

I'm not really after critique. It's done and I don't want to think about it.

I think I know where the map's qualities and flaws lie and hope in the follow-up to it, improve upon them, whilst still being in the same style. At the end of the day, what matters to me is that I got to make the map and that the client was more than happy with it.

This isn't the highest quality version of it, but still fairly high. (Reproduction/re-use prohibited without prior permission.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Western Lands of Lormendier.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	6.26 MB 
ID:	85796

And hopefully, I'll find a bit of time to get back on here properly some more.

This is absolutely beautiful! And flaws may or may not be apparent, but they always contribute to the feel of a map. After all, the first maps made of our world were flawed!

Congratulations on your first commission!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    I'm not really after critique. It's done and I don't want to think about it.
    Oh dear, as bad as that??

Don't be so hard on yourself. It looks great! I like how you've shaded the land and sea. The colouring is really good. I also like the icons you've used for towns/fortresses etc. They look fab, though I'm not sure what's going on with the ones that seem to be swallowed by the forests?? I think there's a story in there! But well done for not re-using the same icons for the major settlements. It always help to sell the idea of different cultures when the towns/castles are different styles. Love your glowing volcanoes.

I think you've created a really attractive map of a world that looks super interesting, and I'm glad your client was happy. Congrats on the commission. Hope it's the first of many!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words both of you. I tried a lot of new things with this map so I'm pleased they paid off.

I am very pleased with it, and no it's not as bad as that! I just know doing it again, I'd do a few processes differently, but that's a good thing. All about learning and pushing forwards.

...And of course, happy clients...

I really like the colors and icons on this one ! It's a real eye candy. Only thing I could say, I usually post lower resolution pictures so that the tiny imperfection I do don't show, I know, it's cheating but it smoothes some rogue strokes All in all, a piece you can be proud of, the client's word is final and this one is great !

Congrats on the commission!
    It looks really awesome. It has a great atmosphere. The coastline and the city icons are also very nice (as well as everything else).

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Congrats on your first commission! It looks good. One small suggestion would be to lighten the value of the location text in the volcanic areas to the SW. Right now the black text is almost disappearing against the darkly shaded background of the land mass. Not a huge issue but it might help with readability.

Keep up the good work!