Thread: Environment Influeces over cultural evolutions

Default Environment Influeces over cultural evolutions

Hello , where can I find all threads related to how environment conditionates evolution , social developments, languages, artistry , architectures, lifestyles, and even racial characteristics?

For example I have read that nomads of Eurasia developed thin eyeslits because of wind protection , pale skin vs dark skin is according to latitude and sun influence , eye color more light in north because of reverberance of light etc ...

are there specific threads on that or they are scattered around indifferent discussions?

This to propose possible evolutive ideas of cultures that could be hybrids, new and unique or changed known ones.

I also noticed that artists always tend to Reuse the same cultures of Eaarth over and over and its seems nearly impossible or extremely hard to figure new architectonic styles and cultures that result truly unique .

In most cases those are the fruit of thousand years of evolutions , and environmental influences as well as contact with other neightbouring cultures, that are also favoured still by the geographic features of the lands inhabited by those .

I'm afraid there isn't an specific section in the forums for social-cultural topics, I guess those are scattered in other sections and mostly in random posts inside threads originally about other topics. Would be nice to have it, since it's part of world-building, but since this forum is mostly about the maps, I won't really complain about it since it makes sense.

@groovey - there really isn't a specific place for that kind of content at the Cartographers' Guild. The guild used to be associated with The Campaign Builders Guild - thecbg.org, as a sister site more dedicated to non-map, world building issues for games and fiction. While posting threads like these are probably still appreciated here, you might visit that other site, as such content is more appropriate there.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

There is a book you might be interested to read. It contains some explanations on society development: The Spirit of the Laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    you can probably find it for free.

another book to mention is : Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's a very broad question but you might look into sociology to find answers. for example, Max Webber studied the impact of religion on societies, among other things.

Guild Adept

Years ago, when I first read it as it came out (don't know whether I would have the same judgement re-reading it now) I fount this book very interesting: The Wealth and Poverty of Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though, it's only limited to explain economic success, not everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There is a book you might be interested to read. It contains some explanations on society development: The Spirit of the Laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    you can probably find it for free.

another book to mention is : Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's a very broad question but you might look into sociology to find answers. for example, Max Webber studied the impact of religion on societies, among other things.
    I just got that Guns book and I will read it soon , its just the kind of interesting questions that I have been toying with recently .

I got a lovely paperback edition of "Guns, Germs, and Steel", which was on my wishlist for a while. I will start digging into it and taking notes (though I know the theory defended by the book is mainly that, one theory of many, but for ideas for conworlding will do for me, as one of my sources) as soon as today.

Thanks to the rest of you for the recommendations.

EDIT: I started to dig in "Gun, Germs..."; I'm in chapter 6 but I'm not really impressed for now. I though I'd get a lot of new concepts and info with the book, but up to this point I already knew these things from other readings and college, in the book is even more simplified, so it's a bit boring to me. We'll see, if it continues like this it won't make it a bad book anyway, in fact I think is very useful to initiate people on those concepts, but I was under the impression the book would be something else.
    Last edited by groovey; 07-30-2014 at 07:46 AM.