Thread: Similar to fractal terrain?

Default Similar to fractal terrain?

Hi , I have tried fractal terrains but I am not really satisfied with it for a series of reasons .

1 it creates a very rough surface based in fractal noise , but in no where seems to be able to create actual mountain ridges and belieavable structures
    2 there is no tectonic involved but just random nouse for shapes .

I would like a generator that could take into consideration that beeing able to plan shapes and tactonics as well as crestal ridges, mountain ridges and global features ....

anything like that does exhist?

Guild Adept

There are some alternatives, but in my (limited) experience they are either more limited that Fractal Terrains or much more difficult to use; or, often, both.
    While Fractal Terrains have some limitations, it is clearly capable of producing believable geography with good mountain ranges etc., if you know how to use it. I would suggest to start from this very classical tutorial: Tutorial for Cartographer’s Guild
    Other resources and suggestions can be found around these forums.

Do youy have any sample of a Fractal terrain produced world that looks like almoust a real world map ?

Guild Adept

The one in the tutorial linked looks quite good to me, like the one I made (see my album). Not perfectly realistic by any means, but good enough. You can play and fiddle manually to make the distribution of your mountain ranges more believable, plate-tectonics-wise.
    It should also be noticed that we only have one example of a "real world map", thus what looks typical to us is not necessarily typical of all possible worlds.

I actually noticed that I had to upgrade the old version I had , after that it seems that it creates better worlds and had even some newer options I didn't see b4 ... also didn't see the tutorial and seems interesting I will keep an eye on it , my idea was eventually to try to test the new world with world machine after and see what happens.