Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
Btw a strange happening ...

In Wilbur I can see a nicely rendered view of the terrain , it seems to me that also heights are lighlty shadowed, can this be influenced anyway ? Without going to FT I mean ...

I have reproduced the similar effect using just the heightmap , render a white overlay layer with a light directional and using the alha channel of that layer with the heightmap , I set up the height and the intensity and I get the same similar shaded effect, but I notice that when I do this in the photoshop the resulting image has visible all layers of steps of the heights , while those are not visible in the heihgtmap or the Wilbur outputs, why do you think I get those stepped results in my rendering ? I saved the heightmap out of wilbur as 16 bit .
I'm not sure what you're requesting here. A screenshot with the problem areas highlighted would probably be helpful for me.

The data in Wilbur (and FT) is stored as 32-bit floating-point numbers, which gives you roughly 24 bits of precision. The default for Photoshop and other paint programs is 8-bit data (usually with separate red, green, blue, and alpha channels). Converting the terrain from 24-bit to 8-bit loses a lot of data. Photoshop can work with 16-bit or 32-bit channels, but there are a lot fewer filters available. To ensure that you're working with 16-bit channels and not 8-bit channels, check Image>>Mode in Photoshop and ensure that the checkbox is next to 16 bits/channel.