Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continent map (fantasy) - constructive criticism appreciated!

Thanks so much again for the reply, and the suggestion - I gave it a try (gimp has the same feathering feature) and I think the colouring really adds a lot. Here it is, along with a couple other minor changes from today: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valetas map v7.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	65836

I know it's a big stylistic change from the first version, but I had to start from scratch anyway with the new continent shape, and wanted to give another style a try. =]

Edit: Link to icons removed by request
    Last edited by jl3141; 07-18-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Guild Member

I think that looks really good! So glad the coloring worked out (might make a more step by step tutorial for it). Most important thing is, of course, if you're happy with it or not. You said you were making it for D&D. While I've never played that specifically, I've played in big online text-roleplaying groups and I think the current map works quite well for it =D Good work!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Actually those icons are some of my own that I did for old empire of Lorn map. Since they're aren't free to use and you didn't even ask permission to use them, I'm kindly asking you to remove them quickly
    Thanks.

I'm terribly sorry about that! I've taken down my link above. I found them on a third party site somewhere without an attribution link, I'm not sure where now -- I tried to re-find the link originally for Raziel and couldn't. Would you like me to remove them from my map as well?

Also, question to you all. How do you go about making a map scale that fits with the sort of old-paper-y fantasy aesthetic? Any resources?

Guild Member

That's a shame about the icons, they were very nice. I saved them initially but they've now been deleted from my hard drive. As for the map scale, do you mean the little scale bar that shows how many miles/kilometers a certain length is? If so, you can make it however you want, really. I always keep anything that should look like paper, white. The paper-y look itself is applied in an overlaying layer. That way, anything that should look paper-y has the exact same look, texture wise. Honestly, the best way to do it is to just do it. Look at how other maps with roughly similar styles have done it, and make one yourself. They're only little.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jl3141 View Post
    I'm terribly sorry about that! I've taken down my link above. I found them on a third party site somewhere without an attribution link, I'm not sure where now -- I tried to re-find the link originally for Raziel and couldn't. Would you like me to remove them from my map as well?
    Yes I would prefer. Also I would be grateful if you could find the link of the site where you first find it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12