Thread: WIP: New Hatharnd Empire Map

Default WIP: New Hatharnd Empire Map

Hi All,

It has been quite some time since I have posted here. Maybe a few years. Haven't looked it up.

Since I last posted, I got my BSc, got a job with NMEDAC, then got my MSc, got a job with the NCDOT, moved from New Mexico to North Carolina, bought one fixer house, fixed it, sold it, bought my sister's house (she is disabled and husband died) to help her in what time she has left.

Lots. Finally, things have been settling down and just started working on a new map for a novel I am writing. The new map is based on a first attempt at using Pasis's texture tutorial and first use of a stylus pad. That mess can be seen here.

With this map, I plan on trying to make it look hand-drawn. Or, at least kind of Tolkienize it.

Attached, if I get it correctly (and hoping I do it correctly), is the beginning map. Please note that I have only spent about six total hours on this, with most of that time trying to figure how I want the land to lay. It will be different than the one linked to above. This time I am applying some of the geomorphology sciences I learned for my MSc (BSc was in Geographical Information Science). In other words, I am also placing where the plate boundaries are (did not save a version of this).

For the beginning, I am using blue to represent where the main rivers are (but may not stay), brown for the main mountain ranges, grey for the main hilly ancient mountain ranges (like the Appalachians), red are tentative city placements. This is also a quarter-sized map. The original I am working on is 4724x5454 @300dpi.

Please note that my free time is severely limited. Thus, it may be some time between posts.

Let me hear the good and bad. And thanks.

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HatharndEmpire-QrtrSzd.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	65729  
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

For a beginning its pretty good gets the information across. My one question is what is the black line in the center.